Apple Genius: Macbook Pro keyboard Replaced

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adriian, May 25, 2010.

1. adriian macrumors newbie

I need to get my Macbook Pro keyboard replaced, how much would it cost and if I book for a genius would they be able to do it instore?

Thanks

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Do you have an older MacBook Pro (silver keys), or newer MacBook Pro (black keys)?

I know that for the older one, it's cheaper. Usually $80 for the keyboard + parts and labor.

Is the keyboard damaged? If you take it to an Apple Store, they'll usually also fix anything else they find wrong (which would increase the cost of the repair). You can take it to them and ask for an estimate first, before any repairs are made. But if they find anything else wrong, they'll want to fix that too — they don't let you pick and choose what to repair.

As an alternative, you could take it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider (like an outside shop) that could probably do it cheaper. You can usually just have them fix individual things, instead of everything like Apple requires. You could also order the parts from iFixit and do it yourself.

3. fogarty macrumors newbie

I just had my keyboard replacement last week at the apple store due to a faulty spacebar. Luckily for me it was still under warranty (new MBP '10).

Total cost for changing the keyboard was £238.52 including VAT (17.5%). Total time for repair was about 5 days. Breakdown of price is: -

£162.15 for topcase with keyboard
    £76.37 for hardware repair (assume this is cost of labour)

I'm sure you can get this cheaper using a 3rd party service, but this was my experience was through the apple shop.

4. Hexero macrumors regular

Here in Norway, on a site called Humac.no they do it for 1000 NOK, which is like 160$. I think there are cheaper alternatives out there in your country.