Apple Genius Meeting. Trying my luck

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by leRiCl, Oct 27, 2009.

1. leRiCl macrumors member

I just got a macbook pro 3 months ago to replace my 3 years old Core Duo macbook.

I was planning to sell my macbook

The core duo macbook's keyboard had a a bit of stains and the track pad was a bit sticky, and the up arrow key stopped working.

Anyways, as I got it out and did a re-format of the hard drive, this crack on the palm rest appeared. (It was always there but it finally broke off that time)

exactly the same as this one: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=298735

I was on the forums and I saw that thread. So I thought I could try my luck and maybe I'd be lucky and they could fix it and I could sell my macbook for more.

I got a Genius appointment at my local Apple store and I showed the genius the 'problem'. All he said was it'd cost $295 to fix it, and that maybe I should get a sticky tape instead. I said thanks, and he just walked off to help another customer. :(

dialogue:

me: "A few days ago this thing appeared on the lip of my macbook"
    genius: "Okay let me have a look." *gets serial number and types into laptop and waits*
    * minute later*
    genius: "It'd cost $295 to replace it. I'd just get sticky tape"
    me: "Oh damn. umm thanks."
    genius: *walks off*

I thought that was a bit cold. but then my friends say I'm cold too when they first met me. so I don't know.

I'm a bit of a nerd and I suck at talking strangers so I felt sort of insecure after this.

Was I too greedy to do this? Or did I just didn't say the right things.

I was thinking he was thinking I bought a 2nd hand macbook and broke a bit off it just so Apple could fix it. Which was similar to what I was doing except it was an accident.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Too greedy? Nah. The guy told you what you needed to know, didn't cost you anything did it? Free information isn't useless information.

As for him just "walking away", meh, let it go.

3. iOrlando macrumors 68000

well things would be alot different if you were a hot girl with revealing clothing. But that would work in alot of situations, not just at the apple genius bar. In general, if you dont put up a fuss or aren't extremely nice, the genius wont really go out of their way to "solve" your problem.

anyways...from what I can tell from your situation..the genius probably felt that the crack was from normal wear and tear or an accident on your end. hence no applecare coverage or anything...

4. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I guess it was out of ac coverage, right? When this happened with my old macbook, they replaced it no questions asked. My impression was that they knew about the problem. Unless you have applecare, I can't see what else the 'genius' could have done for you.