Apple Genius Replacement phone firmware

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jmcclain145, Dec 28, 2010.

1. jmcclain145 macrumors regular

jmcclain145

Title may be a bit confusing, but I recently got a new iPhone, (sold my unlocked 4.1 with preserved baseband to a friend) and want a unteathered Jailbreak back. Does anyone know if I get it exchanged at a Apple store, will the firmware be 4.1 or 4.2.1?

I know its kinda impossible to say for sure, but I know the refurbs Apple gives out are typicaly behind in firmware.

So I guess what I'm asking essientially is if anyone has done a warranty exchange at a Apple store recently, and what your firmware was.

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If nothing is wrong with the iPhone Apple won't replace it, period.

Say you do get it replaced, the Genius will upgrade the iPhone in-store to the newest firmware.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You might get lucky and get one with 4.1, a few members posted they got refurbs recently with that version.
    And others with 4.2.1 but the untethered JB should be out soon anyway.

4. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Could be either. A buddy of mine and I got our iPhone 4s replaced in the same week, mine last Tuesday, his on Thursday. Mine had 4.2.1 and his had 4.1 on it.

5. jmcclain145 thread starter macrumors regular

jmcclain145

They ask you if you want it upgraded, on a side note, is there a issue restoring a jailbroken iPhone on 4.2.1 to factory?

I just jailbroke my iPhone on facvtory 4.2.1, then tried to restore (didn;t want to deal with the teather hassel) now I'm getting a restore error right at the end of the restore process.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I need to upgrade iTunes, and thats probably it..... :p

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You might need to use Tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery if your hosts have been edited/modified.

7. jmcclain145 thread starter macrumors regular

jmcclain145

I'll try tiny umbrella, If not that what else??? I updated itunes and still get error 1013.

Used tiny umbrella and it just kicked it to the connect to iTunes screen again.

8. declandio macrumors 6502

Mine was replaced (in the UK) on 20th Dec and I received one with 4.1. The replacement they gave me had a battery problem, so that was replaced again the next day and the 2nd replacement also had 4.1.

They give you a fairly hard time before replacing it, so they won't do it for no reason....