Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Albal

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
So I have a problem with the hinge on my MBP. I got an appointment and took the computer to the Apple store in Southampton UK.

No bother. It is under warranty and the fault is being repaired by Apple.

However, the service and representation of Apple by the Genius was very sub standard - his complacency and disregard for my 2000 Pound computer was infuriating.

I took it carefully out of my case, placed it on the table very gently and showed him the problem. He then proceeded to man-handle the computer putting it on the table maybe 2 or 3 times harder than I ever have. I appreciate that this man deals with these things for 8 hours a day but that is not reason enough to treat other peoples' possessions with as little care as possible.

He then took the computer 'out back' for approximately 30 seconds and then returned to the front desk and slid it along the counter screen side down so he could access the battery inside. After he put it back together I inspected the back of the screen and noticed he had scratched it. I immediately told him in not a rude but rather amazed manor and the only thing he could muster up was 'oh sorry about that'. At this point I was furious with the employee and he quickly realised that assuring me that in the repair the screen and upper part of the lap top were going to replaced anyway.

Ok, so hopefully in the end everything is going to turn out OK. However the sheer inconsiderate, rude, holier than thou and disdainful attitude is not acceptable and neither is treating other peoples computers (no matter how mundane to the 'genius') like trash in not acceptable.

Genius: A person who is exceptionally intelligent or creative.
Apple Genius: Smart-arse, disrespectful individual sporting a holier than thou attitude.

Apple will be getting a formal complaint about this when I have my computer back.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
That 'genius' should be fired. If that is his standard operating procedure he is giving that Apple Store and Apple Inc. a bad reputation. I would complain to the manager of the store and write a letter to Apple Headquarters detailing what happened. That kind of behavior will cost Apple sales and believe me the higher ups won't be too pleased.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
In my experience the inhabitants of Southampton are only rivalled by Bristolians in their ability to suck the joy out of life. Jump on the train up to Waterloo next time. It's only an hour or so away, yet a world apart in terms of attitude.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
In my experience the inhabitants of Southampton are only rivalled by Bristolians in their ability to suck the joy out of life. Jump on the train up to Waterloo next time. It's only an hour or so away, yet a world apart in terms of attitude.

Brummies are WAY worse than Bristolians and people from Farham are, very much, worse than Southamptonians

Albal

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
Thanks for the replies of reassurance that I wasn't being over dramatic.

I was just so surprised by this guy's attitude towards my product.

But yes, a letter and a compliant will be made to Apple over the phone once I have received my computer back from repair.

If however there is a single blemish, mark, battery cycle, anything to that £2000 computer all hell will break loose.

I went in there with a very open mind and have come out sorely disappointed.

Maybe an email to sjobbs@apple.com.....?

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
I would have gone mental. Sliding a computer which costs more than he makes in a month across a desk is not the right way to do things :mad:

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
I feel your pain. I too have experienced this.

My new SR MBP had an issue under 10.5 in clamshell mode back when it was new. So, I made an apt. just like you. I was greeted by the "genius," and I pulled out my new mac, the only new mac I have ever had in my life, and that is when it began.

Flipping, twirling, and anything else just to get to the bottom to take out the battery. More flipping and twirling to put it back in and I sat there with my jaw on the floor. I couldn't even speak nor utter a word. It really pissed me off. I didn't want to really cause a scene but man it PISSED me off. I mean, I could understand if I was the type to plaster stickers over my macs but I keep mine in a case at all times.

After that was finally over, a friend of mine had a similar issue with his MBP and he had to take it in as well. I told him to watch out for the guy I got. Sure enough, he got him. He man handled it again. My friends actually had to be shipped off and my friend was told they would take care of the packaging. I said a little prayer for my friend as he walked out with an empty incase sleeve. God knows how it was treated or packed.

So, you are not the only one to experience such. That will never happen to me again. It has taught me to speak up for myself. Not everyone values nor takes care of things they own like you do.

Albal

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
I would have gone mental. Sliding a computer which costs more than he makes in a month across a desk is not the right way to do things :mad:

I Couldn't agree more. Thoroughly disappointed with the service and the representation of the company that 'genius' portrayed.

Thanks for the heads up on the spelling of Jobs!

I am going to do something but dont want to start a direction of complaint until I have my computer back to me totally unscathed.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
So I have a problem with the hinge on my MBP. I got an appointment and took the computer to the Apple store in Southampton UK.

No bother. It is under warranty and the fault is being repaired by Apple.

However, the service and representation of Apple by the Genius was very sub standard - his complacency and disregard for my 2000 Pound computer was infuriating.

I took it carefully out of my case, placed it on the table very gently and showed him the problem. He then proceeded to man-handle the computer putting it on the table maybe 2 or 3 times harder than I ever have. I appreciate that this man deals with these things for 8 hours a day but that is not reason enough to treat other peoples' possessions with as little care as possible.

He then took the computer 'out back' for approximately 30 seconds and then returned to the front desk and slid it along the counter screen side down so he could access the battery inside. After he put it back together I inspected the back of the screen and noticed he had scratched it. I immediately told him in not a rude but rather amazed manor and the only thing he could muster up was 'oh sorry about that'. At this point I was furious with the employee and he quickly realised that assuring me that in the repair the screen and upper part of the lap top were going to replaced anyway.

Ok, so hopefully in the end everything is going to turn out OK. However the sheer inconsiderate, rude, holier than thou and disdainful attitude is not acceptable and neither is treating other peoples computers (no matter how mundane to the 'genius') like trash in not acceptable.

Genius: A person who is exceptionally intelligent or creative.
Apple Genius: Smart-arse, disrespectful individual sporting a holier than thou attitude.

Apple will be getting a formal complaint about this when I have my computer back.

Hmm that is most unlike the experience I have had with the genius bar at West Quay.

They have always been most helpful and friendly to me and have taken care with both my MacBook and my iPhone. In fact to the point of giving both the full iClean treatment because they left fingerprints on my immaculate iPhone. (they like everyone else have skin oils which the iPhone screen is like a magnet for so I was prepared to have a few fingerprints on it)

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
(they like everyone else have skin oils which the iPhone screen is like a magnet for so I was prepared to have a few fingerprints on it)

I don't see the point of bothering yourself about it. Of course they collect fingerprints, it's in the nature of their UI. I just wipe my iPod Touch off with the corner of my shirt when it gets too much finger oil on it. After two years of ownership and heavy use, the screen remains unscratched and (when recently wiped) unmarked. It's a device designed for everyday use, not some priceless artifact.

The back is scratched up a bit, as usual, but I only look at the back when I pull it out of my pants pocket (no case) backwards, and then only long enough to realize that I have to turn it around.

Like I said... it just doesn't make sense to get worked up over. I like the thinness, and I would never add a case that would more than double its size. I wouldn't mind a Gelaskin, though.

Sorry, that was rather off-topic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.