Apple gives into Hollywood and Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by synth3tik, Dec 3, 2007.

1. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

This is a bunch of crap. I have a feeling that this will kill digital movies all together. Seems like iTunes movies may become priced similar to a physical DVD.

Apple caves into Hollywood

Personally I have only bought a few movies off iTMS. Mainly because the selection thus far is weak, but getting more selection means nothing if you have to pay extra for it.

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Bummer, but this is not really going to effect me since I have yet to purchase a digital movie from iTunes. :eek:

3. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

That's bull. So now they're going to have to charge more than $15? Target always has the dvds on the week of release for $15.99. I guess Apple will have to sell this on ease-of-use then. It's going to be difficult though. It's like the studios don't want progress to happen. I'm getting sick of it. They would sell tons and tons of their movies through $10 downloads to people's media centers and Apple TVs.

4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

John Gruber thinks that it means they're adding rentals. I agree, and I hope it's true. I haven't bought a single movie off of iTunes and I buy hardly any DVDs because I just don't watch movies more than once. I would rent a couple movies a week if it were an option.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

ooh, hope so - this will save :apple:TV from the chopping block...

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

In terms of value added, I refuse to pay $15.99 for digital media when I can get the physical media for the same which otherwise ensures that through ripping I get a quality copy. In other words, Target Tuesdays live on for now at least!

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

especially when I pay $12 on sale at FYE or even $4-$8 for a used copy from Hollywood Video...

8. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Indeed. I am not going to pay the same price for a digital download when I can a get a physical copy for around the same price...That is a rip off.

9. je1ani macrumors 6502

People still buy movies? lol jk sometimes on ebay I win movies for 1 penny and pay $3 shipping =) I bid on 50 movies at a penny and sometimes I win like 10

10. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

In the end this is going to mean that more people are going to download torrents or rip copies from Netflix and such. I certainly wouldn't pay more than $5.99 for a digital movie that I could rent from NetFlix along with two other movies and watch and send back and at the end of the month the Netflix subscription fee is well worth it. Even Blockbusters service is nice considering I can take movies in that I got in the mail and get free rentals.

The Apple TV is good for running Linux I don't see the point in it for much else and certainly now as the iTMS content is going to go up in price.

11. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Same here. It is completely ridiculous that they're charging the same price when no packaging and shipping is involved! I AM NOT paying $20 for a movie locked in my computer when I can get a physical copy that I can play on any DVD or computer I want.