Apple gives out my Apple ID password

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dalriada, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Dalriada macrumors 6502

2. David G. macrumors 6502a

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If this is true, it's absolutely unthinkable! Now I need to learn more about encrypting my iDisk and everything I sync to .Mac!

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

holy crap! :eek:

I don't even know how do I get my backups to iDisk/.Mac be encrypted.

I better check what files I have in there just in case I have something too personal.

One more thing to worry about. :rolleyes:

5. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

holy crap. that is completely unacceptable. i hope some heads roll at apple because of this and that they tighten up their procedures so this NEVER happens again to anyone...

6. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

ouch! I only realised today that if you dont have a password on your public folder that other web browsers have access to ALL of your idisk (i thought that the public folder was a folder within your idisk)?

anyway, after reading this i am tempted to fake a mail from one of my msn accounts to see if they reset my mac password...

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i have a hard time to believe this is true. If it is, then Im just speechless.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I have to call BS. Note that .Mac REQUIRES your name and birthday to reset a password.

Anyone can claim such as thing happen, doesn't mean it's true. For example, I can claim that MS reset h0tmail account to a yah0o user.

9. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Reminds me of the cellphone fiasco where just about anyone could get your phone records. A loophole no one thought about before.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Since the guy is a software designer and writes a blog that involves security, there are two possibilities:

1. He's very knowledgeable and caught Apple with its pants down.

2. He made it up and is using it to generate publicity for himself and his business.

Should we start a a poll? :D

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It must be true!

This morning, I received an email (I'm sure many did) entitled "Important information about your Apple ID", with a discussion about how important it is to remember the password and keep the Apple ID secure. Why else would they send such a message at this particular time, if they hadn't had the security breach? Not good!

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

and email sounds like its users' fault rather than apple's?.....

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Now that you mention it, it does! They should "man up" and admit they dropped the ball!

14. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Seems like Apple staff lost its senses in this MobileMe, iPhone and 'push' hullaballoo!:eek:

To Dalriada, hope you didnt 'lose' too much. Any personal info in your account that might be messy now? Hope you hadnt entered the details of your CC in Apple's ridiculous Autoregister!!!

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

It still doesn't explain how this person was able to change the account owner's password without knowing their birthday.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you read the article posted by the OP, you'd know.