Apple Gives Straight-to-Series Order for Drama on Child Journalist Hilde Lysiak

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 13, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has placed a straight-to-series order for a drama series about Hilde Lysiak, a child journalist who publishes a newspaper called the Orange Street News in her hometown of Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania.

According to Variety, the series will follow a young girl who moves from Brooklyn to the small lakeside town her father is from, where she unearths a cold case that everyone in town had attempted to bury.

[​IMG]
    Image of Hilde Lysiak via NY Daily News

The story is based on Lysiak's own efforts to report on a murder in Selinsgrove, where she was the first person to expose it. Lysiak's Orange Street News has earned her national and international media attention.

Apple has ordered 10 episodes of the series, which was created and executive produced by Dana Fox and Dara Resnik. Fox is known for her work on "Ben and Kate," "How to Be Single," and "Couples Retreat," while Resnik has worked on "Castle," "Shooter," and Mistresses."

Apple has well over a dozen original television shows in the works now, which, according to rumors, could begin premiering in 2019. Recent announcements include "Little Voices" from J.J Abrams and Sara Bareilles, "Dickinson" starring Hailee Steinfeld, and a television adaptation of Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" series.

Article Link: Apple Gives Straight-to-Series Order for Drama on Child Journalist Hilde Lysiak

2. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

Everyone is a content producer these days. Comcast is about to buy Fox and become one too.

3. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Smart business. Then you can’t be held hostage by content companies who threaten to yank their products every few years to get more money.

4. tennisproha macrumors 65816

5. slimtastic Suspended

slimtastic

6. thenewyorkgod macrumors member

WTF is going on at Apple? Next they will be developing a show about a small town chemistry teacher who gets cancer, and turns to selling bitcoin to pay for his medical bills.

7. rpat701 macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2018 ---
    Comcast has owned NBC/Universal for a few years now. They've been a content producer for a while.

8. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

I kinda like it.

I can see him running a "breaking bad" style mining farm tapped into the schools electrical grid.

9. Mansu944 macrumors 6502

Is Apple going to sell these shows or do a subscription service? Am I going to pay for Apple Music and Apple TV separately?

10. jarman92, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2018

jarman92 macrumors 6502

Apple hasn’t created a problem for themselves; they’re doing quite well. I think they’re silly to focus any effort on making more TV shows after HBO/Netflix/Hulu/Amazon have already made so many, but they aren’t exactly risking anything to do it.

11. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Don't they already have NBCUniversal?

12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'll be interested to watch this show because I'm very skeptical as to the level of involvement this little girl actually had in solving this case. I'm sure she's extremely bright, but I feel there is no way she did this without a lot of coaching from her parents. Perhaps using her was a clever way to get people to give up information in ways they wouldn't toward another adult.

13. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

14. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Question if the decade!

It seems there are weekly announcements of new TV shows from Apple... but they can't possibly put them under Apple Music, can they? That would be weird from a branding standpoint.

I bet Apple is getting ready for some kind of subscription TV service.

The question is price. Apple Music is $10/month... while you can get all of Netflix HD for $11/month. They're different products, sure. But the prices are similar. It makes me wonder how much music is really worth and how much TV shows are really worth.

Apple won't have anywhere near the catalog of TV shows that Netflix has... so there's no way they can charge Netflix prices for a separate Apple TV subscription.

So maybe they'll just roll TV content into the Apple Music subscription price... at least at the beginning.

It would be nice to pay for Apple Music and also get their TV content included. Or pay for Apple TV and get music included.

Though if Apple continues to add TV content... I don't see them keeping both services bundled at the same price.

Usually you pay one company for music (Spotify) and you pay another company for video (Netflix/Hulu/HBO)

There hasn't been a company who offered subscriptions for both music and video content. It'll be interesting to see what Apple does with this.

15. jona2125 macrumors 6502a

She didn't solve a case, she sourced information to confirm that a murder had taken place for public awareness.

16. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

I think the most likely thing is, as you say, a bundle combining both TV and music, and maybe something else. Amazon has done very well with Prime, which is far more disparate bundle than combining music and TV.

17. nokkynuk macrumors member

nokkynuk

18. JungleNYC macrumors regular

JungleNYC

So much more heartening than the societal facepalm that is Lil Tay.

19. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

How many shows is Apple making? o_O

I feel like every other week they’re ordering some new series.

20. Zenithal macrumors 603

Really? This is what the Hallmark Channel is for...

21. whitedragon101 macrumors 65816

Is Apple doing this to prepare for a subscription service model like Netflix? Surely that can't be sticking to the iTunes buy per Show format

22. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Remember Apple is phasing out the pay to own music model over time as well in lieu of subscription, so you’re likely correct. I spend more on two months of Netflix than I have spent buying ANY dvd or digital license of a movie in the past many years. In fact, the last movie I can remember purchasing was a discount bin copy of Elvira’s Halloween movie as a company office party gag gift at a company I left 7 years ago.

23. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

Amazon...
    --- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2018 ---
    Amazon doesn't bundle full music in Prime though, their premium music service is an addon to Prime (though slightly discounted for Prime members)