Apple giving away free cases?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Richie3000, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Richie3000 macrumors member

Because they should!

If Steve Jobs is going to smugly proclaim that complete signal loss (which is quite obvious in the videos floating around) is not only common to all phones, but that we should "just buy a case" if it really bothers us that much -- is f*ckin' insulting!

We (as your most loyal customers) just shelled out hundreds, if not thousands over the course of a contract to get this phone! And now WE, the customers are responsible for buying a case to compensate for a huge design flaw???

Why not build a phone that I can hold without tongs, you know, like a human?

Howabout this idea instead...I'll take my complimentary case in black, Steve.

2. BConvery macrumors regular

Its not, mine works perfectly with no wifi or 3G signal loss. Many others have reported theirs to work correctly as well. So that premise is gone.

3. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

Hmm, slightly misleading title... :rolleyes:

4. DaftDrunk macrumors regular

Through the desert on a horse with no name
    It is, mine doesn't work perfectly with a 3G signal loss. Many others have reported theirs to not work correctly as well. So that premise is gone.

c wut i did thar?

5. spacemanspifff macrumors 6502

spacemanspifff

Hear hear...

I agree with you on this one, Apple should offer FREE bumpers to anyone that wants one or at the very least, allow all customers who have an issue with this to buy the bumper case at cost price [which I'm guessing is pennies]. Closing ranks and telling us to spend another £25 just to make the phone part of this new phone work is not the way to build customer loyalty! Frankly I am amazed that Apple didn't find this out during the development of this new phone and then work out an engineering solution to fix it. You can bet that they have people working on a redesign right now. This could cost them millions, if they don't offer us something, I'll join the class action that is bound to be coming down the pipe!

6. gazzrenn macrumors 6502a

gazzrenn

My phone works perfectly well with no bumper case. Having said that, I'm on o2 in the UK... not AT&T who aren't exactly known for having the most reliable network.

7. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

well all I know is the 2 i have right now both have signal issues. my wife is pissed. She wants to go back to her old 3G. :eek: I haven't had a dropped call yet but I've gotten poor reception on a few calls so far. Ugh. i don't even want to think about it. Bumpers sold out at every Apple Store around me because of this. One store said they got a huge shipment WED night and thought for sure no way they would sell out. They sold out because of all this talk.

8. ginguar macrumors regular

+1

9. Hardcoredan52 macrumors regular

Mine works fine too.. Sorry guys

10. Igantius macrumors 65816

Don't seem to be experiencing any problems.... but still lured here by the misleading title!

11. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

no problems here i got the bumper for protection, but if they were to start sending out free cases, do i get a refund on my bumper??

12. geque75 macrumors regular

Free Case

I ordered my phone online on 6/15 and received it on 6/23. The back camera and video had a blue line across the screen. After speaking with Apple support, they said that the sensor was going bad and to go get it exchanged. I called an Apple store here in Atlanta and told them my situation and what support had said and they said to come in and they would get me moved up in the line. So, I arrived at 6:30 a.m. and they moved me right up the front. Got me exchanged and I was out in less than an hour.

Got home, loaded my phone from a restore and went to send an email... noticed a huge yellow line down the screen. Called Apple support, again, and was told to return it, again. Called the Apple store and they appologized many times and said to bring it back and they would get me to the front of the line and get it exhanged.

Did so, they got a manager involved, I told them that it is a 70+ mile round trip and that I have already made 2 that day and that I would be happy with a free bumper. So, got another phone and they gave me a FREE bumper for my 'trouble'. It does not hurt to ask.

13. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

It's so obvious they designed the case knowing the issue. They should have at least charged much less. Like $10.
    I really want my phone to be naked. It's so cool looking. No real problem with antenna for me, but I'd like a little protection and the bumper seems perfect for that. The back of the phone shows still bBUT they made the opening for headphones too small! I can't get it for that reason. Will have to wait for another manufacturer to make one

14. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I don't think they should start handing out free $30 cases but I do think his response was a bit arrogant and D-baggish..... I mean you have people lining up all over the world to buy your product and shell out money and make your company look great. Don't give such a douchy response to a legitimate widespread issue. just saying

15. jwagner720 macrumors newbie

Free bumper

I'm on the phone with Apple Support now - They're giving me a free bumper. I called apple support yesterday with the issue - went to the Apple store this morning and got a replacement phone, which did the same thing, so I called back and they are telling me it's all in the way the signal is received and displayed by the phone... Not sure how true it is, (to be honest, I've never dropped a call with it, so it may just be the signal meter and not the true signal on my phone) but the guy offered me a free bumper so I said sure :) Why not take something free from Apple.
    We'll see how it works after. I'll have the bumper plus the Zagg invisishield full body kit on it so scratches shouldn't be an issue and as long as signal drop isn't an issue I'm good.

16. ItsThatKush macrumors regular

works fine here too.

17. jwagner720 macrumors newbie

consider yourself lucky then. I'm 2 for 2 with phones that are affected. If it was just the way the signal was displayed, would that effectively block the phone from making a call? Meaning if I have cell signal but the phone doesn't think I do, will it fail calls? I'm unable to initiate a phone call while my phone says searching, however I have never dropped a call once the call was initiated.
    Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

18. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

I'm on AT&T, and I'm having no problems at all.

19. err404 macrumors 68020

My guess is that the issue varies by the GSM Band used by your local tower. I have no issues at home and get far better reception then I did with my old 3G; however, I have significant issues where I work. If I bridge the antenna's I immediately lose all data and voice and my calls drop.

20. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Possible. I have equally excellent signals at home and office. Just lucky, maybe.

21. PG-Monkey macrumors regular

Agreed - I thought for a minute it was going to be something worth reading.

22. Hero887 macrumors member

This is a disgrace Apple. At my home I get full signal but when I hold the phone with my left hand which one would do especially when dialling, internet etc as a right handed person, the signal drops and the message "no service" appears.

23. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

It's the network if u live in an area with a strong siginal then it doesn't matter If u hold ur phone that way. So it's not like some iPhones are affected and some aren't they all are. So they should give us free bumpers. Got to tell u that this is really annoying but my bumper doesn't get to me till like July 3

24. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Can you explain to me then how on Malibu beaches, at my house on the water, where i get horrid coverage from every service, yet i try to make my bars disappear, but they dont, 'splain that to me Jr. 'Cuz my phones doesnt do that even in a horrible service area here in Los Angeles :rolleyes:

25. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Well this is what I was told by a couple of members here, and it dosent make sence any other way y would be some are affected and some not when the steel band ( the antenna) is the same on every IPhone 4. So there are only 2 other possibilities either it's the network or the hand holding the phone. So if it's the hand then there is nothing different between the affected and non affected phones. And if it's the network (witch makes the most sence) then they would not all be affected