Apple giving extra credit for iPhones affected by lock button but how much

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by person123, May 4, 2014.

1. person123 macrumors member

Has anyone traded their faulty/potentially faulty iPhone 5 that was eligible for the program apple recently launched? I just want to know how much extra did you get towards a new iphone, as I live kind of far from an apple store and want to see if it is worth it. What was the total gift card value?

2. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

What was faulty about the 5?

3. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

4. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

Mail-in
    Call Apple and request a postage paid box to send your iPhone in to the local Apple Repair Center.
    Your iPhone will be examined by the Repair Center to verify eligibility.
    After it has been serviced, your iPhone will be returned to you by mail.

5. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

You don't get credit. You get the button replaced.

6. MyiBill macrumors 6502

Apparently its $80 over the normal credit amount.

7. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

they updated the original article stating some users we're able to get trade in credit towards a new device. reason for my post. I'll just go for the fix rather than driving to an apple store.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1729122

8. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Oh sorry. Didn't see that. If no one asks and reports back I can ask what the amount is when I get my new iPhone on Friday at the Apple store.

9. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

i'm doing mine via mail and I just called Apple to have them mail me a box and start the repair order. per the rep over the phone, they will either fix it or send a replacement. i'm fine with either but pulling for a replacement. battery has been all over the place and spotty network connection.

10. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

That is what I was told as well.

----------

I tried to get a replacement for my wife. They tested her battery and it is having some issues. They said they would be happy to replace the battery before sending it in for the lock button repair, but it would cost $75.00.

I was told in the store that at this time they are only doing repairs, not replacements. Hopefully you have better luck with the mail in option.

11. person123 thread starter macrumors member

Alright, so I went into the apple store. It's $350. More than enough to cover a new iPhone 5s. If you want to send it to repair they run vigorous tests (so I was told) and if it qualifies, they ship it out. Probably do the same when you mail it in and if it doesn't fail the test then they send it back. I say if you're due for an upgrade, go for it. Great deal. Then sell this phone and get an iPhone 6.

12. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

wow, that's pretty good. though mine is a little beat up. clear screen but the edges all around are showing it's wear (I actually like it that way). I don't mind the iPhone 5, just wish my battery would last the day and get the power button fixed. we'll see, still need to wait for the box apple is shipping me.

13. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

It didn't look that vigorous to me :)

They install an app from a rMBP. It basically runs a diagnostic program to check for any other problems (cell reception, wifi, bluetooth, etc.). It also checks to see what is making the button defective (software, hardware, or both). Once that is done they send it off.

The employee told me they are making sure everything else functions before they spend the time to fix the button. They don't want to waste their time or yours by fixing one problem on a phone with several problems. I would imagine they also want to show you if anything else is wrong before they open it up so that they can't be accused of doing any additional damage.

14. dmunz macrumors regular

I guess I wasn't paying attention. I took mine in and thought they said just $80. (64GB VZ). If they would have said $350 I'd have jumped.

I had them checked the battery and they said it was crap - 60% of function. They wanted to charge $90 for the battery replacement. I passed on that and the button for now. I'm waiting to see if Square Trade will cover the replacement and then I'll take it back in.

FWIW
    DLM