Apple giving me a new MacPro!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JesterJJZ, Nov 14, 2007.

1. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

So I've been having issues with my G5 for a while now. Back and forth to the Apple store with no luck.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=385948

On a whim I sent a polite email to sjobs@apple.com and explained my situation and asked about Apple's policy on replacing hardware. Today I get a call from the manager of my Apple store. They forwarded my email to them and they are now offering me a new MacPro. Getting the Dual Core 2.66 which is fine with me since I'm not paying for it. Getting 2 gigs of memory (4x512) and a 500 gig boot drive. It's not the highest end, but it's gotta be faster than my system now...2.5ghz dual G5.

They are giving me the Nvidia with 256MB. How does that compare to the ATI 9800 256MB I have now? I might want to update that down the road. I'm not gonna complain now though. :D

You think they will let me add Applecare to this one?

2. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

Congratulations! When does the new system arrive?

3. canadagrad macrumors newbie

Way to go!

It's always worth a shot to say/write something polite to someone in charge with problems like that.

Im happy it worked out!

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I don't see why they wouldn't let you add Apple Care as you will be buying that. The computer is the same specs as mine (except 2X150G 10k system drive and 2X500 media drive) and I love it. I have not had any real issues with it. I do not do any gaming, but from my view the video card is a good one. I do some photography and graphics stuff and enjoy the video.

To Trancepreist~
    Is it just me or is your math off (9GB (2x 4GB))- from your sig.:D

5. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

I just thought that adding the 2x512 part was pointless... especially since I keep wandering over to crucial.com and tempting myself. :)

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Sound good to me, I was just trying to be a jerk:D

7. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

O i figured that part. :D

8. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

They said they will be configuring it today and I can pick it up at the store tomorrow.

9. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

Congratulations again... good to know that Apple is taking care of its customers. I know what its like to have a bad system... you deserve a new one for the headaches.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Jester.The dual Xeon is about twice as powerful as the Dual PPC.You got a great deal!!

11. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Sweet! I won't even care if they release new Macs soon. This will be more than good enough for the next couple years. Since it's basically a free system and I'm "skipping" a generation, I won't feel bad about splurging on a new one a few years from now. I was planning on getting a new system next year sometime anyway. This is saving me thousands! While I've had a lot of issues, the trouble seems to have been worth it. Apple sure know how to treat its customers. Go Apple!

12. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

Same thing happened to me. My Dual 2.5 started leaking coolant and blew up in the early morning.

I talked to a guy from AppleCare that sounded like he could care less so I took it to an Apple Store instead. Before I left, I sent an email to sjobs@apple.com about my situation, what I do for a living, and how I really couldn't be down a machine.

I get there and get seen almost right away, even though the Genius Bar appointments were all taken up for the day. The manager of the store even came out and greeted me personally. They took a look at the machine (less than 5 minutes) and said a replacement Mac Pro was already on the way.

A few days later I went to pick it up. Everyone there was like "oh you're the guy getting that replacement Mac Pro". It ended up being a Mac Pro 2.66, 8 gigs RAM, 1x500GB and 1X250 GB hard drive and the nVidia sitting in my office.

I was really surprised and really happy with my experience.

~Crawn

13. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Can't believe I'm the first to say it...this is fantastic news for all of us! It means the new Penryn Mac Pros are just around the corner and they are happy to get rid of the old stock! :p

Nah, congrats though. Very awesome to see the company we love return the favor.

14. statikcat macrumors 6502

statikcat

Wow.. considering G5 value what an upgrade (in cost and power)!

This is the kind of thing happens to most of us before we wake up..;)

15. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Just got my baby and man is it fast! Silent too! I turned it on and I thought it was broken cause it didn't make any noise. My G5 sounder like a vacuum cleaner when powering on. :D Go Apple!

16. richapple macrumors newbie

After many years of my trying to get a free Mac...

Wait a minute! Apple is giving YOU a free Mac Pro? Is your name "Apple"?

All those years I wrote so many letters ( http://www.richapple.com/letterstoapple/index.html ) to absolutely no avail. Geeesh! And all along it was just sjobs@apple.com I had to email. Who is that, anyway?

Apple

17. bld44 macrumors 6502

Well, nice! You'll enjoy that machine.

Apple recently hooked me up with a free 23" ACD because of all the problems I had been having (went through 5 units, all of which had problems, plus some bad store experiences as a result). I'm sure they just wanted me to shut up and leave them alone at that point. Nothing compared to a new Mac Pro though!

18. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

lucky!

enjoy

A friend of mine had similar problems with her ibook and they gave her a free MacBook!

19. scorp888 macrumors newbie

Similar issue

I've had 14 graphics cards, and 4 burners.

Apple have said enough is enough and I will be getting a new Mac Pro.

However, I've been putting them off replacing it with the hope that:

a) It would come pre-built with Leopard.
    b) The NEW Mac pro would have been announced and the octo would have become the base model, or even a modest speed bump would have been nice.

I know the moment, I go back and say I'm ready for the replacement, 14 days later a new mac pro is going to be announced...

20. thevibesman macrumors regular

While I too am anxiously awaiting the new Mac Pros, I wouldn't get your hopes up because of this story. Some time a couple years ago, I was having problems with my 12" G4 PowerBook I had been using for two years (long list of possible component failures that showed up as "working" when tested at AppleCare's repair center and were subsequently not fixed--on a side note, I love that repairs are done in Apple Stores now so this can be avoided). Since I was having trouble getting the repair done, an AppleStore manager sent the computer in for me, and when they didn't fix it for him, he BUILT ME A BTO FULLY MAXED OUT 12" PowerBook G4.

I mention this because this because he hooked me up with the final revision of hte PPC 12" Powerbook shortly after it was released. So while I hope new Mac Pros are coming soon, I think this is more of a sign that keeping their customers happy and loyal. While some times have been better than others, overall they have done a good job keeping me pleased since my first Macintosh Plus (4MB Maxed RAM!--eventually) when I was two years old :D

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

awesome, congratulations! Enjoy it. Now if only my core duo macbook would die so I could get a SR one... ;)

22. ronss macrumors member

got to say apple is thinking about its customers,,,that brings repeat business...a new mac pro is about 1.5 years yet for me...got to be happy with my dual 867 for the time being.

23. termina3 macrumors 65816

The triplicate punctuation (especially the ",,,") reads like a stutter. Just sayin…

24. peejack macrumors 6502a