apple giving me free money?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by qwerty2k, Dec 4, 2008.

1. qwerty2k macrumors regular

Ok, so bought a macbook on the friday sales, as uk vat has been reduced to 15% and they originally charged 17.5% apple have refunded me the difference back....

however, they seem to have credited my account twice with the amount, i looked just now and i recieved the following email from apple:

Dear scott saunders,

Thank you for you recent Apple Store Order.

We have inadvertently refunded you twice the amount due to you for the recent VAT change. We would like to advise you we are away of this error should you be concerned.

We will not be requested this amount back. We apologise for any confusion caused.

Thank you for choosing Apple.

Kind regards,
    The Apple Store

Does that mean i get to keep the extra then?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Looks like it. They screwed up and they're not going to take the money back.

3. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Yup, they made a mistake, they foot the bill.

4. qwerty2k thread starter macrumors regular

their grammar is utterly awful though, really should get someone who natively speaks english to write their emails.

5. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Who cares about the grammer you got extra money.

6. amoda macrumors 6502a

Bad grammar and spelling, kinda scary. Are you sure that it is an official email? Don't see how a scammer would benefit from it though, weird.

7. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Why would name not be in caps? Call up Apple to confirm, that looks very fishy.

8. swb1192 macrumors 6502

They gave me this same letter when they gave me two $100 rebates when I was only owed one of them. Yet... they requested me to "not cash the second check." Somehow you got off the hook?

9. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

The spelling is scary on that.. I'd foward that to sjobs and let him know what kinda cust. service people are writing emails.

10. qwerty2k thread starter macrumors regular

both amounts have been reimbursed into my bank account so i guess its right :), but yeah shockingly bad email.

11. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I don't see any bad grammar there. Perfectly understandable.

The name thing is probably the way you put your name into the system (when you registered your computer or put in your information in the online order system), their email system likely fills it in for them when they go to send out the notice.

jW

EDIT: Oops, didn't notice the "will not be requested the amount back". That is bad grammar.