Apple giving refurbished 6S's yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Jan 5, 2016.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

i have to get a replacement phone from Apple mine is glitching are they giving new ones for replacements or they are still giving refurbished ones? Also any chance they send them via mail and I can send my old one back or that's only with Apple care.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I would think by now there are refurbs to be handed out.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

There is no way to tell the difference between the two.

4. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

What's the difference than?

Also will Apple send me replacement by mail if I call or no?

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Refurb or new, same quality.

No idea if they will deal with you by mail or not.

6. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's just us customers who have classified it as refurb or new.

Apple refers to it as reconditioned, but if you ask directly about it they will tell you new.

8. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

Okay thanks. I think this bug constitutes a replacement.

Phone is clearly defective.

9. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Could be software, as well. From a single short video, it would be difficult to label the phone as "clearly defective".

10. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

It keeps happening. I went s few days without it but then I did s hard reset and it happened again. I can't touch anything on screen until I lock the screen

11. rzc16512 macrumors regular

Yes. It might be only if your within your 90 day complimentary phone support if you did not get AppleCare. They will put a hold on your card for the full price of your phone until they receive the malfunctioning phone.

12. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

I guess I'll just try to get one in stores. Hopefully they have a 128gb rose gold 6s plus.

13. jtwlbz macrumors 6502a

they are. and... all those ones have bunch of problems.. screen, button, headphone jack... I highly recommend just replace screen if you have screen problem.

14. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

Have you seen my video. New screen won't help. It's probably a connection.

15. that be me macrumors 6502

This is not exactly true. Although I can't remember what the difference is, I do recall refurbished units having a different serial number or IMEI number. Can't check from where I am right now.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

But you would have to actually check the device in Settings>General>About to determine that.

Physically and component wise there is no difference at all.

17. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

It'll have a new exterior shell (and get a new battery), but the other components may not be new.

IMO, remanufactured is probably the best term to describe them.

19. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

My 2 cents. That doesn't show to me a defective phone. That just shows me some app is using a lot of RAM and CPU to the point where other functions are affected. A smartphone, while a phone, is still technically a computer. You can overload your computer easily by going from 0 to 100 MPH. Its as easy as selecting all desktop icons and pressing enter.

Anyways, send your phone in and get a "new" one. It will very likely be a reconditioned phone but there isn't a difference if its Apple that completed the repairs.

Because brand new ones are shelf units. What else are you going to do with the returned units if not recondition them and use for warranty? Think about it. If 2% of phones had errors from manufacturing, what are you going to do with 2% of millions of phones if not for warranty?

20. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

It happens with no apps in my multitask bar. And also I did a hard reset before and it started happening again.

21. aristobrat macrumors G4

Cost, I'd imagine. At least they do put it in a new exterior shell with a new battery. Doesn't sound like all companies even do that much...

Also, for your other question, you can have it replace through mail. If you have AppleCare+, then there's no extra cost for them to do an advanced replacement (where they ship you the replacement before they receive the old one). If you don't have AppleCare+, I think it's $29 to do that.

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

There is a reason Apple has the exact model and color replacement iPhone for warranty purposes for years to come.

BTW, the quality control process to recondition a returned iPhone is much stricter than the process for new phones. All reconditioned phones are tested, the casing and battery is replaced and any parts that fail testing are replaced with new parts.

23. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

Ooh okay good to know.

Maybe I'll even get one without a blemish. Hoping the refurbs have the better chip that was mentioned on forums.

24. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

They've been doing white box refurbs for a little while now. When my 6s was DOA I went with a refurb as returning it for a new one under the iPhone Upgrade Plan was going to be a pain in the ass.

I do not notice any difference between new and this refurb aside from the fact my phone actually works. :p

25. Realistiic, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016

Realistiic macrumors regular

Realistiic

I've had a few refurbished iPhone's and tbh they are just as good if not better than new so I don't mind either way