Apple glitch with AT&T Unlimited data customers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BabyFu18, Sep 12, 2014.

1. BabyFu18 macrumors member

So I preordered my phone this morning on apples site and everything seemed fine, it showed my unlimited plan and all was well. I've received the confirmation email and it also shows my correct plan and my correct unlimited data as if nothing has changed (which is what I wanted).

So I just called AT&T to make sure all is well and it seems that is not the case. On the phone after a fairly long wait I was told my plan has not currently changed, but that there was a glitch in the apple online ordering that is causing AT&T customers with a grandfathered in unlimited data plan to be automatically transferred over to the value share 10gb plan. She said that once I recieve the phone if I activate it that will change my plan so before I even open the box I need to call ecom and explain that the glitch from apple taking away my unlimited data happened to me and then see what they tell me and that I would be able to call back to AT&T on the 19th and get my original plan reinstated immediately.

I'm not sure if this was really a problem on apples side or on AT&Ts side and they are just trying to shift the blame. But either way, I've got my confirmation from apple that my unlimited data is still intact so if I have to show paper proof it's there, but it sucks that I won't be able to activate the phone or anything until I make all these extra calls to get my plan fixed.

Anyone else been told anything like this?

I'm not sure what possessed me to call AT&T to double check things, I just felt like I should and I guess it's a good thing that I did. The rep on the phone said it's been a huge problem and that they don't know what or how the glitch happened just that it happened to people preordering through apple not through AT&T.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There is a thread on this but for Verizon. Evidently it's happening but whether you get it or not is another story.

3. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

First of all, take anything an ATT rep tells you as likely to be completely false.

Second, if the order conformation AND the email confirmation are BOTH saying you still have unlimited, I'm not sure what possessed you to call ATT either. Nor what is making you believe what she told you.

Just activate your phone on the 19th, then go check your plan. If something is wrong, call ATT and get them to fix it. I seriously don't understand why the iPhone suddenly turns everyone into a neurotic mess about this stuff.

4. cornerexit macrumors regular

Because they are a stress mess about getting it first so they can front in public I guess. A bunch of worrying and nothing has shipped yet, you aren't in possession. Geez, just breathe or smoke a joint or something. It's just a damn phone!

5. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I should clarify that I REALLY want my iPhone on launch day too. and not for flaunting it around. Hell, I probably won't leave the house on Friday, I just want to play with my phone! :)

But once I got the confirmation at the end of my order AND the confirmation email that say it's arriving on launch day, I'm satisfied. Sure, I might watch the tracking info because it's kind of fun, but I'm not going to neurotically call my carrier, Apple, and everyone else 4 times a day just to make sure it's all going smoothly. Get a grip, people!

6. BabyFu18 thread starter macrumors member

Wow nice, thanks. Geez I was just sharing what I was told I'm not freaking out about anything, but I wanted to check that my plan wasn't messed up and was just stating what I was told. I'll keep a check on my plan so I can stay on top of it, but I'm not sitting here doing nothing but stressing over it. I'm taking the information I get at face value, but I'm certainly not going to ignore it all together.

7. blhoward2 macrumors 6502

Eh, I'm sure they would restore it with a reciept showing you didn't authorize it. When I moved to a new state that required porting my number to a new account they manually resetup the unlimited plan. I didn't even have to ask them to...