Apple goes back to tracking users...Again.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
They are not tracking USERS, they are tracking USE in order to target ads to things they believe you might be interested in.

If you follow the NFL on your device, you will get ads for NFL related items, not figure skating...

Your individual privacy is not being violated. They don't know who you are with this data.

Plus you can disable it, then you will get generic ads rather than targeted ads.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
They are not tracking USERS, they are tracking USE in order to target ads to things they believe you might be interested in.

If you follow the NFL on your device, you will get ads for NFL related items, not figure skating...

Your individual privacy is not being violated. They don't know who you are with this data.

Plus you can disable it, then you will get generic ads rather than targeted ads.
Did you even read the article? It's despicable. If it's able to be turned off/on, why isn't it off by default like other features like wifi and gps. Any kind of tracking is a privacy issue, so why the heck is this setting under the GENERAL tab? Why isn't it under the PRIVACY tab? It's so obvious Apple is putting this option in a place where you won't LOGICALLY find it. I would hope you could agree to this. No wonder the iPhone 5 is showing more web usage. How embarrassing.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
this has to be old news because I remember reading about this a while back and disabled it. When I got my iphone 5 and installed my iphone 4 back up is was already disabled. Android fanboys trying to get things started.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Did you even read the article? It's despicable. If it's able to be turned off/on, why isn't it off by default like other features like wifi and gps.
Yes, the fact that you can turn it off and on! DEPLORABLE. :rolleyes:

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Did you even read the article? It's despicable. If it's able to be turned off/on, why isn't it off by default like other features like wifi and gps. Any kind of tracking is a privacy issue, so why the heck is this setting under the GENERAL tab? Why isn't it under the PRIVACY tab? It's so obvious Apple is putting this option in a place where you won't LOGICALLY find it. I would hope you could agree to this. No wonder the iPhone 5 is showing more web usage. How embarrassing.
Of course I read it.

As a developer who uses ads on iOS devices to give you FREE apps, I applaud this completely anonymous method of targeting ads to iOS users.

Could they have made it more obvious to disable this feature? Sure. They didn't. It's still something you can disable. It's in your best interest to leave it on, but you can certainly turn it off.

My app will present ads to you that fit your interests if you leave it on, otherwise you will get ads for tampons and feminine hygiene products. It's your choice.

No one is tracking users. The thread title is completely misleading.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I found this the first day I got the phone....
So did I, plain as day. What I find "despicable" is that with all of the other issues (many overhyped but a couple legit) that iPhone 5 has, some half-baked "news" site chose THIS to cry scandal about?

This is almost as overblown an overreaction as the roving bug guy.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Of course I read it.

As a developer who uses ads on iOS devices to give you FREE apps, I applaud this completely anonymous method of targeting ads to iOS users.

Could they have made it more obvious to disable this feature? Sure. They didn't. It's still something you can disable. It's in your best interest to leave it on, but you can certainly turn it off.

My app will present ads to you that fit your interests if you leave it on, otherwise you will get ads for tampons and feminine hygiene products. It's your choice.

Which apps are yours?

1080p

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
You better get an Android phone. We all know that Google would never do any data collecting or advertising..... :rolleyes:

decafjava

macrumors 68040
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Of course I read it.

Well this post made me turn the tracking on again so I don't get tampon ads. that and free apps is always good. :D

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
So...Apple and Google "track" me to serve me targeted ads, why is that a problem again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.