Apple got the PUSH email thing backwards.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Sep 26, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

A lot of features on the iPhone are also powered by Google. Calendars, Email, Maps, YouTube (I think).... anyways... why doesn't the iPhone support push for Google mail accounts, but it supports YAHOO? This is completely opposite of Mail.app in Mac OS X. Mail.app supports Google push and doesn't support Yahoo at all (unless you pay for Yahoo plus).

What I'm getting at is this. If I want push on my iPhone and on my Mac, I need Yahoo on the iPhone and Google on the Mac but, can't have Yahoo on the Mac and can't have Google push on the iPhone... this seems so backwards to me.

2. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

If I'm not mistaken, their is no public Gmail Push for Mail.app, or anything. It was only an advertised feature for the T-Mobile G1 Android phone.

snverhallen

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

You're griping at Apple because Yahoo doesn't offer a free IMAP service? And Google doesn't offer push e-mail support?

That's a new low. :rolleyes:

4. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

There is push GMail on the desktop Mail client through the IMAP Idle command.

5. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

But it's not really "official" Push, like their is no direct way to say you want to setup Push with Gmail. But there is this workaround.

snverhallen

6. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Well, Apple could use IMAP idle in iPhone Mail couldn't they?

7. danny_w macrumors 601

That's exactly what I have been saying ever since mail.app on the desktop finally started supporting IMAP Idle, but it seems that nobody on this board wants to believe that Apple would withhold this from the iPhone, so it must somehow be Google's fault. As for IMAP Idle not being "official" push, it is the de-facto standard for push that has been around for ages on IMAP servers, but Apple's mail.app just recently added support for this age-old feature (on the desktop only). So what if it is not Apple's "official" push?

8. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I don't know a lot about it, but doesn't IMAP idle require a constant connection to the server to work? Something you'd want to avoid on the iPhone, thus Apple's push service.

9. danny_w macrumors 601

Now that you mention it, that may be the reason. I'll have to do some research.

UPDATE: Yes, IMAP Idle does require a constant connection, but it is supported by many other smart phones and should at least be an option. Unfortunately, Apple *hates* options (I guess they don't want to confuse their users).

10. DanielJvdBerg macrumors regular

I was thinking about this this afternoon. What I thought up is that Apple just not want a free service like GMail competing with it's MobileMe.
    Could be, right?

Even though, I agree they should make it as an option, something like:
    "GMail push enables the phone to get instant updates on e-mail, but reduces battery life"
    Thus not confusing people.

11. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

Agreed.

12. markgamber macrumors 6502

If that connection is idle, however, it's nearly the same as not having the connection at all. Besides, lots of phones have "constant connections" to servers and it doesn't kill them. I guess the phone really is that fragile.

And yeah, if Apple is any indication, the average iPhone user is retarded.

13. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

The new Yahoo mail is better than gmail anyways, at least the $20 plus version is. I was one of the original gmail beta testers but I cannot stand the ads or the conversation view.

14. danny_w macrumors 601

Unfortunately Yahoo doesn't offer IMAP do they? I realize that they have some sort of a push interface to the iPhone, but on the desktop all that they have is POP last I saw. I use at&t dsl, so I already have a paid yahoo account (but it is called swbell.net in my case). Perhaps they have other options for "real" yahoo users though.

15. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Like which?

16. markgamber macrumors 6502

Any Windows Mobile phone with (I think) 5.0 of better. I'd guess anything else that supports exchange push as well. Once upon a time it was triggered by SMS but they did away with that a long time ago. Now it's a constant connection that, most of the time, does nothing.

17. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Yahoo plus does have IMAP, but really, why would you need it? It pushes to your iphone automatically. The rest of the time I access it online wherever I am, work or home or on the road. Using a desktop email client is pointless in 2008 unless your work forces you into it.

18. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

I would love push email for gmail. I can't believe how wierd it is.

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Both IMAP Idle and Exchange have to ping the server every so often to keep the connection alive. I believe IMAP does it every 15 minutes, and Exchange adjust automatically to the minimum timeout (within preset limits).

20. danny_w macrumors 601

That may be true for some (my son for example) but I generally hate web interfaces for mail. I would much rather use a good desktop application. I use the gmail web client now because it's strange implementation (labels vs. folders, archive vs. delete) doesn't interface very well with mail clients.

EDIT: I just checked the help for Yahoo Plus! and it doesn't list anything at all about IMAP, only POP.

21. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Do you also prefer AOL by any chance?

:cool: