Apple Grants Internship to a Developer of Encrypted Chat App 'Signal'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Feb 25, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple recently hired Frederic Jacobs, one of the developers of the secure messaging app "Signal," which is notably known as the encrypted messaging service that Edward Snowden uses "every day." Jacobs will be working on the CoreOS team as an intern this coming summer, where he'll help the company beef up the safety measures and encryption of iOS devices across the board (via Business Insider).

[​IMG]
    Image via Daily Mail
    Jacobs' hire comes amidst a heated battle between Apple and the FBI over the latter's attempts to gain access to the iPhone owned by Syed Farook, a shooter in the attacks that took place in San Bernardino, California in December. Apple CEO Tim Cook sees the cooperation with the FBI's request as a potential slippery slope that could lead to a looser grasp on the privacy and security of Apple product users worldwide.

In recent interviews, Jacobs voiced his opinion on where Apple could go with its security far before the friction with the FBI began.
    Last night in a thirty-minute interview with ABC, Cook focused on a fearful precedent that the FBI's request could make in terms of the risk of weaker smartphone encryption. He admitted that the company is in a "very uncomfortable position," and is sympathetic with the families of the San Bernardino victims, but believes Apple is ready to take the issue all the way to the Supreme Court if it lasts that long.

Read More: Apple Working on Security Measures to Make iOS Devices 'It Can't Hack'

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Grants Internship to a Developer of Encrypted Chat App 'Signal'

2. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Apple is definitely not screwing around with security, anything to get those FBI freaks away! :D

3. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

The more smartphones you try to crush the more will slip through your fingers FBI.*

*no morning coffee yet can't properly quote

4. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

In the end this is good for the Apple consumer. Can they do a super encrypted iMessage for Android while they're at it?

5. iMerik, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016

iMerik macrumors 6502

Signal rates well on the EFF Secure Messaging Scorecard. Also, it's very easy to set up. Enter mobile number and then confirm number via texted code. Supports group chatting and sending pictures and video. I think you can make calls with it too.

6. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Apple is making its middle finger bigger and bigger.

Which is good.

7. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

The FBI have fingers too. They probably also hired some geek to do the same job for them. What you think about that?

8. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Sometimes I really love Apple. "Security too difficult for the government? LET'S MAKE IT HARDER!"

9. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Well they're crying to Apple for help...

10. Chatter macrumors 6502a

So weird question. If Apple really doubles down on security and makes iOS even harder to crack, isnt that actually good for government employees? I mean, now all dumb senators visiting prostitutes ....

11. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

I hope he's a well-compensated intern, lest his apparent talents will be scooped up by the competition. It sounds like he's exactly what Apple needs right now.

12. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

If one good thing comes out of all of us, it's that we all should up our security game and make it harder for *anyone* to access our data. I for one will be looking for apps which use encryption more and more. Not that Apple needs to make this a selling point, but I think they need to eventually get encryption into all of their apps, even the silly apps like Photos, etc.

The FBI, in being greedy, just lit a fire under all of our @sses about security. I can honestly say I'm much more secure now than I was when this story broke.

13. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

I think that you're trying extra hard to be a contrarian and not give Apple any credit for their push towards increased security.

It's okay, let's just admit that Apple is doing something right for once.

14. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

That is the yin and yang of it. You always will have to deal with the good and the bad. But you can't take away vehicles from law abiding citizens because bank robbers will use them for their getaway.

15. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Thanks to the FBI, Apple now has to consider itself in its security threat model. Hope they're up to the task.

16. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

Yeah, maybe they can make the batteries bigger. This whole thinner trend needs to just stop already.

17. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

18. Mums Suspended

Mums

As much as I want to believe Tim Cook is on the up and up, this whole thing seems staged.

19. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

I give everyone credit where I believe it’s due. I don’t necessarily have to acknowledge it to you.

20. Mystic386 macrumors regular

Macrumors must be loving this topic. They've been able to spin it for thread after thread.

Sorry for your interruption. Continue with your posts.....

I don't see the FBI asking Samsung for access to their phones. Could this be an indication of a lack of security on those?

21. bushido Suspended

bushido

how old is he? i am not hating, just ready to feel inferior lol

22. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

Is that guy Tim Cook's nephew or something? Looks a lot like him...

23. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It would be google that they would ask as they are the makers of Android. Although probably with this kind of situation since Android is open source the FBI might be able to build their own compromised version of it to get into people's phones.

24. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

It wouldn't necessarily be just Google. Part of the security of phones is in the hardware - Samsung could have their own encrypted bootloader or what have you that has nothing to do with Google. And then Samsung adds their own hardware/software tweaks like Touchwiz, Samsung pay, and their own fingerprint reader implementation which have their own security features.

They might end up needing both Samsung *and* Google in some situations.

25. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

This is cool, I use the app as well, good to see collaboration going on between these two.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 25, 2016 ---
    you can, it supports real time encrypted voice communications using ZRTP, nice app.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 25, 2016 ---
    quite germane to the topic at hand *rolling eyes*