Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently hired Frederic Jacobs, one of the developers of the secure messaging app "Signal," which is notably known as the encrypted messaging service that Edward Snowden uses "every day." Jacobs will be working on the CoreOS team as an intern this coming summer, where he'll help the company beef up the safety measures and encryption of iOS devices across the board (via Business Insider).

Frederic-Jacobs-apple-team.jpg
Image via Daily Mail
I'm delighted to announce that I accepted an offer to be working with the CoreOS security team at Apple this summer. - Frederic Jacobs (@FredericJacobs) February 25, 2016
Jacobs' hire comes amidst a heated battle between Apple and the FBI over the latter's attempts to gain access to the iPhone owned by Syed Farook, a shooter in the attacks that took place in San Bernardino, California in December. Apple CEO Tim Cook sees the cooperation with the FBI's request as a potential slippery slope that could lead to a looser grasp on the privacy and security of Apple product users worldwide.

In recent interviews, Jacobs voiced his opinion on where Apple could go with its security far before the friction with the FBI began.
In an interview last year, Jacobs said that one of his goals when coding Signal was that he "wanted to bring these strong cryptography techniques to iPhone users."

"Apple's service is not perfect," Jacobs told Technologist. "For example, its proprietary technology makes it impossible for the community to detect vulnerabilities and fix flaws. Signal is open, free, collaborative, and easy to use."
Last night in a thirty-minute interview with ABC, Cook focused on a fearful precedent that the FBI's request could make in terms of the risk of weaker smartphone encryption. He admitted that the company is in a "very uncomfortable position," and is sympathetic with the families of the San Bernardino victims, but believes Apple is ready to take the issue all the way to the Supreme Court if it lasts that long.

Read More: Apple Working on Security Measures to Make iOS Devices 'It Can't Hack'

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Grants Internship to a Developer of Encrypted Chat App 'Signal'

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
In the end this is good for the Apple consumer. Can they do a super encrypted iMessage for Android while they're at it?

Reactions: scapegoat81

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
The FBI have fingers too. They probably also hired some geek to do the same job for them. What you think about that?

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
If one good thing comes out of all of us, it's that we all should up our security game and make it harder for *anyone* to access our data. I for one will be looking for apps which use encryption more and more. Not that Apple needs to make this a selling point, but I think they need to eventually get encryption into all of their apps, even the silly apps like Photos, etc.

The FBI, in being greedy, just lit a fire under all of our @sses about security. I can honestly say I'm much more secure now than I was when this story broke.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
So weird question. If Apple really doubles down on security and makes iOS even harder to crack, isnt that actually good for government employees? I mean, now all dumb senators visiting prostitutes ....

That is the yin and yang of it. You always will have to deal with the good and the bad. But you can't take away vehicles from law abiding citizens because bank robbers will use them for their getaway.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
As much as I want to believe Tim Cook is on the up and up, this whole thing seems staged.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I think that you're trying extra hard to be a contrarian and not give Apple any credit for their push towards increased security.

It's okay, let's just admit that Apple is doing something right for once.
I give everyone credit where I believe it’s due. I don’t necessarily have to acknowledge it to you.

Mystic386

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
Macrumors must be loving this topic. They've been able to spin it for thread after thread.

Sorry for your interruption. Continue with your posts.....

I don't see the FBI asking Samsung for access to their phones. Could this be an indication of a lack of security on those?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I don't see the FBI asking Samsung for access to their phones. Could this be an indication of a lack of security on those?
It would be google that they would ask as they are the makers of Android. Although probably with this kind of situation since Android is open source the FBI might be able to build their own compromised version of it to get into people's phones.

Reactions: forwardthinking

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
It would be google that they would ask as they are the makers of Android. Although probably with this kind of situation since Android is open source the FBI might be able to build their own compromised version of it to get into people's phones.

It wouldn't necessarily be just Google. Part of the security of phones is in the hardware - Samsung could have their own encrypted bootloader or what have you that has nothing to do with Google. And then Samsung adds their own hardware/software tweaks like Touchwiz, Samsung pay, and their own fingerprint reader implementation which have their own security features.

They might end up needing both Samsung *and* Google in some situations.

Reactions: forwardthinking

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
This is cool, I use the app as well, good to see collaboration going on between these two.
[doublepost=1456433423][/doublepost]
Signal rates well on the EFF Secure Messaging Scorecard. Also, it's very easy to set up. Enter mobile number and then confirm number via texted code. Supports group chatting and sending pictures and video. I think you can make calls with it too.

you can, it supports real time encrypted voice communications using ZRTP, nice app.
[doublepost=1456433604][/doublepost]
Yeah, maybe they can make the batteries bigger. This whole thinner trend needs to just stop already.

quite germane to the topic at hand *rolling eyes*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.