Apple greedy with iPad case?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by FeliApple, Sep 28, 2016.

1. FeliApple macrumors 6502

I intended to buy a Smart Case for my iPad Pro 9.7, just the same one I had for my iPad 4. Ok, I head into the Apple Store and I see they now sell the parts separately (The back case and the Smart Cover) so I have to buy both for more money if I want to obtain the same benefits that the Smart Case gave me previously.
    I hadn't heard of this and I just discovered it now. Any opinions on why did they do this?

2. iClone macrumors regular

Honestly it is over priced.

3. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

To let you mix and match colours, and so the back cover can work with the Smart Keyboard, apparently. But I do find it overpriced. Divide the price by 2 or 3 and I might still consider picking it up.

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Apple's official cases have always been way overpriced. You can get perfectly good smart cases on Amazon for $10-15, and the only real difference is that they don't have an Apple logo.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Apple's accessories have always been expensive. I bought both the case and cover and like them very much. It gives me choices.

6. FeliApple thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree that they have always been expensive, but dividing the case and cover and charging them $120 seems way too much for me. It's even more greedier than before, when it was actually expensive but they sold them both together as one. Anyway, that stopped me from buying and will look for a non-Apple alternative.
    I never criticize Apple for prices as I already know how it is and if I want cheaper I can get a non-Apple device, but this went too far imo. Same as the Airpods.

7. biopig macrumors member

I've never thought the accessories made by apple that overpriced before, until I looked at the smart case for iPad Pro. omg! $110 for non leather! I remember I bought the leather smart case for iPad mini for about $80 and I though it worth it.

8. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

$79 for the old Smart case was already a stretch; $100+ is just astronomical.

9. Kyle4 macrumors 6502

I agree as well that the accessories for the iPad Pro are grossly overpriced. It's not that affording them is an issue, it's just that $100 Canadian (with tax) for a silicon back cover only is outrageous. I really think that $60 for that would've been more realistic. It doesn't even make sense in terms of apple's pricing because they have a leather option for the Air 2 which covers the front and back for $10 more.