Apple Green exchange program?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by squwish, Jan 13, 2008.

?

If apple were to offer a Green Exchange program, would you take part in it?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. squwish macrumors member

squwish

Hi, I'm doing a project about apple's green campaign for DECA.

QUESTION:

If Apple were to offer a Green exchange program, where you can take your old apple product back to a retail store to get a greener and more efficient one, would you do it?

*Don't worry about cost of the exchange.

2. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

It depends, what do you mean by "Green Exchange"?

3. squwish thread starter macrumors member

squwish

4. silbeej macrumors 6502a

If by exchange you mean take my macbook pro into the apple store, and have them give me a new one which has been built to be greener, then yes, i would.

5. squwish thread starter macrumors member

squwish

yes, thats what I'm talking about.:)

6. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Only if it wouldn't sacrifice power than yeah.

7. avincent52 macrumors regular

Depending on the specifics of the exchange, I'd consider it.

That said, I'm wondering about the net benefit. I don't think my MBP sucks much energy with an LED display and very efficient sleep mode. I would think that even an older flatscreen iMac like mine would suck much less energy than the CRT machines that were prevalent not too long ago.

And any "green exchange" program would include a lot of people driving 75 miles in their 15 mpg SUVs to the brightly lit Apple store where the new machines have been schlepped in by gas guzzling Fed Ex trucks and the old schlepped out by Fed Ex trucks and then dumped in a landfill somewhere.

Computers seem to have a life expectancy of around five years--much less than a car--and the people that use them a lot tend to replace them more, so more efficient machines get cycled into use pretty regularly without such a program.

I think that a campaign that, say, converted every Apple store from halogens to compact florescent bulbs, and maybe even included three free CF bulbs with every consumer computer purchase, would have more impact.

What about Apple boxes--are they 100 percent post-consumer? If not, why not? That probably has more of an impact than the 20 sheets of paper I run through my computer every month.

I'm not even going to get into the question of the impact of overseas factories that make Apple products and components (including these "green exchange" machines), which are subject to much less stringent environmental laws than in the US.

When I look at "carbon inventory" websites, I realize that a lot of the things they're suggesting--turning off lights and lowering the thermostat and walking instead of driving--are things that my mother (who grew up in the Depression) advocated because they saved money and generally kept waste to a minimum.

I'm all for green, but the question is at once simpler and more complex than many people think.

best
    Allen

8. squwish thread starter macrumors member

squwish

Thanks,
    Do you mind if I Quote you in my project / report?

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i think i would. i would at least consider it. but more than likely i would

10. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I voted yes because i would at least consider it heavily. I can't guarantee i'd do it, but I'm all for saving the environment. In reality, whatever incentive probably wouldn't outweigh just using the computer until you don't need it/want a new one and then trading/selling to someone who can still use it or trading it in for a rebate when buying a new computer.

11. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

No because I can't afford to get rid of a functioning computer. (Even with discounts) Otherwise I'd like it.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I wouldn't, because to give me a green product, they have to throw my machine away. Even if they keep it intact and use it for another purpose, you just created ANOTHER throw-away product.

So like avincent said, it's not just "trade one in, and a new one." It's not a simple problem at all.