Apple hardware diagnostics without disc

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jjk454ss, Jan 29, 2012.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Is there a place I can get the hardware diagnostics without the install disc? I have a 2006 iMac that is freezing and once in a while getting a line across the screen. The SMART status showed a failing hdd, after replacing it the machine froze up again right away, but only one so far. I have read all the reports of issues with these machines, and am a little worried now.

If not the Apple diagnostics is there something else?

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Nope, you have to have the original Install Discs that shipped with the machine. However you might get lucky, call AppleCare and for a nominal cost if they still have some they will ship them to you. You will need the serial number and credit card.

3. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

OK, thanks for the info.

Does anyone know of some other program I can maybe download to run some hardware tests? Or is the Apple Diag the only decent option?

4. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

you could buy discwarrior as that runs tests etc. or techtool they both run tests on hdd and ram

5. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I'll look into those, I was hoping for something cheap/free, even if it is more basic. I'm thinking though if its anything besides the RAM its probably too expensive to repair, since I replaced the hdd already. Everything else is kind of integrated together correct? Maybe I will try to either replace the RAM or try one stick at a time and see if that stops the freezing issue. I don't really care about the random line on the screen as long as the machine keeps running. Can I run an iMac with one stick of RAM? Does it need to be in any particular slot? I'm not by the machine right now or I would just try it. Thanks

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Just remember you get what you pay for. In my experience the Apple Hardware Diagnostics disc is pretty useless. It takes forever to run, and I've never had it give me any helpful results. More often than not it tells me that there's nothing wrong with an obviously malfunctioning system.

Did you do a clean install after replacing your hard drive?