Apple Hardware Test - Can you download it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stuaz, Sep 10, 2012.

1. stuaz macrumors 6502

Hi,

On my rMBP I wish to do a hardware test on it but it goes into Internet Recovery mode, which is fine, but it can't detect my WiFi so kinda puts a damper on that... (But it can detect it no problem in OSX).

Is it possible to download the AHT or do some other offline test?

P.S I don't have the ethernet adapter :)

Thanks in advance.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No. Those images are only given out to Apple Service Centres. You'll have to go to one or an Apple Store to have it checked.

3. stuaz thread starter macrumors 6502

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

There would be so many issues for people getting it set up it wouldn't be worth it for apple to support a standalone install. The easiest thing would be to get an ethernet adapter.

5. stuaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Any reason why the test won't pick up my Wifi but picks up other WiFis in the area?

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Are you holding down option+d at startup? It takes a while to connect and looks like the internet recovery mode where you have to select a language but then it will bring up the hardware test after the language is selected.

7. stuaz thread starter macrumors 6502

No I am just holding down 'D'. Then it just says 'Internet Recovery' with a drop down box to select my wifi...

8. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Try the option+d and see if it takes you into the AHT.

9. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

You can find it on certain sites online. None of which I'll probably be allowed to post here. I've certainly come across it a number of times.

10. stuaz thread starter macrumors 6502

It takes me to the same place in which does not see my WiFi.

11. killerrobot, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Is your SSID being broadcasted? If not, either turn that on or manually enter your wifi info on the page asking for it.

EDIT: You can also try starting up through the recovery mode (option+r) and enter your wifi network password. Trying restarting to see if it will save the info and automatically take you into the AHT by holding down option+d at startup.

12. stuaz thread starter macrumors 6502

The SSID is being broadcasted, and I have tried entering in the details manually into the WiFi page, but it just 'shakes the text box' when I press enter to proceed. It is a WEP key I am entering if that makes any difference.

Tried also the option+r choice but that didn't do anything, just booted up as normal.

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You want to hold the D key at the grey boot screen, not option-d. Maybe try running your wi-fi open with no password just to get this done?

14. killerrobot, Sep 10, 2012

killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

If you go into disk utility does the recovery partition show up? If it keeps pointing you to the internet recovery mode then it seems as though that might be part of the problem. As weaselboy suggests, you can try taking off the security or changing it to a WAP2 to see if that makes a difference.

@Weaselboy, Apple changed it to option+d with Lion to run the AHT software from the internet. The d only works if you have it installed on the HDD or running from a physical DVD/CD.

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed option-D works for me , D by itself does not

on 10.8.1

16. stuaz thread starter macrumors 6502

I did as Weasel boy suggested and disabled the WiFi Security and it took me straight into the AHT without even prompted to select a network! Obviously didn't like my encryption for whatever reason.

Also just so you know, I only held down 'D' not option D.

Test now running - lets hope it doesn't show a problem!

17. Weaselboy, Sep 10, 2012

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ahh... gotcha. Thanks

Edit: Hmm... Stuaz is saying "D" alone worked. Odd. Apple's documentation is all over the place on this. I found a 2011 Macbook Air with Lion document that says D will look for AHT on the drive and then automatically pull it from the Internet if it is not found. Maybe that is how they have implemented it on the rMBP. :confused:

18. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Good to know. I'd suggest upgrading the security to WPA2 as well if possible because the WEP security is easily broken.

Well, if "d" doesn't work then "option+d" is the backup. :)

19. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As soon as you see the grey screen.