Apple Hardware Test *causes* crashes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davidhw, Jul 12, 2008.

1. davidhw macrumors newbie

I just got a refurbished MBP in May. So far, I've had to send it back to have the logic board replaced. Since then, things have been stable for the most part, but I figured I'd run the Apple Hardware Test just to make sure.

When I run the brief test, it checks out. But when I run the extended test, it makes it to around 7 minutes of so and then the screen starts this godawful flickering and flashing at a really rapid rate. The AHT gets stalled, I can't shut it down, and I have to restart the computer with the power button.

I've run independent tests with Tech Tool and Rember and they check out. Any ideas on why the AHT is causing the screen to flicker/freeze and generally go nuts? Do I have a lemon MacBook Pro?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well... If it's a brand new/refurbished machine. And Apples own software is failing on it, why not return it to Apple? I doubt there's anything anyone on those forum can do or say to help fix your problem. It sounds like a hardware glitch in the system - hence, can't pass Apple's own tests.

3. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Take it back to apple let them deal with it.
    If it cant pass AHT, which is apple's own test. Their must be something wrong.
    About 7 minutes in on extended test, is usually were it is testing the memory
    :(

4. davidhw thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies

I was thinking a memory issue, too, so I swapped out my 4G of Kingston RAM for the 2G of Apple original and ran the test again. Same problem cropped up, no change. So I don't think it's my RAM.

What's *really* irritating is that otherwise the machine is working fine. But darn it, for $1500, I want a PERFECT machine. It's just such a hassle to not have my computer or several days.

Maybe I should have bought a Dell . . .

5. davidhw thread starter macrumors newbie

update

Out of curiosity, I let the AHT run its course, screen flicker and all. It completed its test as normal (after 70 minutes, which is usual for the extended test on my MBP) and returned no problems.

Very strange, especially when the only thing that causes it is the running of the AHT.

6. Alan Taylor macrumors 6502

Alan Taylor

Are you sure that this is not a part of the hardware test at all?

7. davidhw thread starter macrumors newbie

hi Alan

Well, I just got off the phone with Apple Care and they seemed to think it was part of the normal AHT but still recommended showing it to a local Apple tech if I was concerned.

I know that the screen going blank and flashing of colors is normal per Apple docs, but that's not what's going on. What I'm seeing is more like intermittent vibration in the display as if the refresh rate were being tinkered with. I've never noticed the darkening of the screen or rolling colors.

If anyone else has ever noticed flickering during the normal course of the extended AHT, I would be grateful to hear about it.

8. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

No, this is not normal. Bring it to an apple store and have a tech look at it.

9. davidhw thread starter macrumors newbie

problem solved

Took it in to a local Apple tech. Turned out the version of the AHT sent with my computer, although it had a current serial number, was not the latest update. So the tech downloaded the update, we ran it, and not a single flicker.

Apparently, this is not an uncommon issue.