Apple Hardware Test - endless run??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jon08, Dec 14, 2011.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

So I ran the extended version of Apple Hardware Test on my new MBP with SSD in the main bay and a HDD in the Optibay the other day. It ran for 12+ hours but when I woke up in the morning, it was still running - didn't really budge.

The elapsed time showed 16mins Xsecs and I believe it showed a number "1" as in 1 test passed (?) and then said there was no issue, but from the looks of things it didn't really finish the test anyway.

Should I be worried? Or is it because of the HDD in the Optibay that the test perhaps didn't run properly since it didn't detect the Superdrive or something like that?

2. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Any ideas?

It passed the "short" test just fine.

3. Eliz macrumors member

is it ok to run extended apple hardware tests frequenty???

Hi, I unknowingly have been using the extended Apple Hardware test (once a month) just to be on the safe side (ironic!)... i hear it damages the battery or something... also, the last time i finished running it, i pushed the "restart" button and the fans started kicking in at 6000 rpm for like 5 minutes... but my mac is ok now... bottomline, is it harmful to run the hardware test so often????