Apple Hardware Test freezes, MBP 4,1 2008

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tripmusic, Nov 10, 2013.

1. tripmusic, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

tripmusic macrumors 6502

tripmusic

So I recently upgraded my MBP to OSX 10.9. This laptop is really just a back-up for me and doesn't see much use, but I wanted to check out Mavs. It was running fine for a good couple of weeks. Then I started noticing the CPU was spiking a bit and the temps were high, around 60º C at idle. I had SMC fan control utility running with the fans at about 3000 rpm. (I know I don't really need it for the MBP. I can explain why if needed). Not sure why, but the other day I noticed the fan speed was down to 1200rpm or so. So I assumed that my systems erratic behavior was due to that. I quit the fan utility and ran the Apple Hardware Test that came with this Mac. The test keeps getting stuck at the very end during the logic board passes. I've tried this a few times and same result. Activity monitor shows mds_stores process is one that's spiking. With no Apps running the CPU shows nominal for a bit and then all of a sudden it starts spiking. Is my board ready to sh%t the bed? I've already had the board replaced a few years back, but as I said I seldom use it now. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I could take it apart as I've done a few times before to look for any bulging Caps. They must be really small though.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I don't think the MBP 4,1 is supported by Mavericks.