Apple Hardware Test not working on 4.1 Mac Pro running Mavericks...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mac Pro 2009, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Mac Pro 2009 macrumors member

Is there any way to get it to work without the original disk which I do not have? I tried "D", "Option+D", nothing works... I just installed Mavericks on a blank Hard Drive. Does anyone else have this problem on their 2009 Mac Pro?

2. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

2009 Macs have AHT on the disc only.

I think it was around 2011 that they started including it as a boot option without the disc.

3. Mac Pro 2009 thread starter macrumors member

I don't have the original disk. Is there any way to get this to work on Mavericks?

4. Mac Pro 2009 thread starter macrumors member

5. jimj740 macrumors regular

jimj740

Pining for the company that once gave us Clarus
    You need someone with the original AHT disk to upload the following directory:

/Volumes/<name of the disk>/System/Library/CoreServices/.diagnostics - note the period before the word diagnostics

You can then copy this directory to /System/Library/CoreServices/.diagnostics on your boot disk and run diagnostics without the CD

If you have flashed your 4,1 to a 5,1, you will need the files from a 5,1 CD...

The files from the 5,1 CD can be found here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/w7ljelef6zsjq7z/diagnostics.zip

Good luck,

JimJ

P.S. Does it sound like I ran in to this EXACT issue???? ;-)

6. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

Will this work with a mid-2012 Mac Pro? I would think yes but wanted to ask.

7. jimj740 macrumors regular

jimj740

Pining for the company that once gave us Clarus
    This technique should work for any of the machines that originally shipped with AHT discs... so long as you use the right version of diagnostics for the machine. As indicated in the earlier post, different versions of diagnostics are necessary for 4,1 and 5,1 machines, and indeed for me the 4,1 diagnostics no longer worked once I flashed to 5,1 - however the 5,1 diagnostics did.

If you are familiar with the command line tools to manipulate zip/tar files and utilities such as sudo and ditto, the process is very straight forward.

Good luck,

-JimJ

8. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Hi JimJ,

I've grabbed the file you linked, unzipped it and dropped the folder into its rightful place on my 4,1 flashed to 5,1 Mac Pro's boot drive.

I still can't boot to the AHT. I've tried "D", "cmd-D", "alt-D" and even "Ctrl-D" at boot but there's no joy.

I'm running a home-rolled fusion drive setup and I wonder if this could be causing the problem.

9. shindom macrumors member

This is pretty much the same information that was already posted .. but I had that same problem with my mac pro 4,1 and followed to the letter the instructions from: https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest with the correct dmg and I was able to boot into AHT while holding the D key.

Good luck !