Apple Hardware Test on rebuilt MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brublag, Sep 22, 2013.

1. brublag macrumors newbie

I have a late 2006 (I'm pretty sure) about this mac says: Model Identifier MacBookPro 2,2, 2.16 GHz intel Core 2 Duo and it has 4GB of Memory It died and so I've replaced the Logic Board, one of the Memory boards, the hard drive and the CD/DVD drive - it's a long story... I cannot run the AHT on this laptop. I discovered a command that shows hidden files and have located the file "/System/Library/CoreServices/.diagnostics" on the hard drive after installing from a Snow Leopard upgrade disk. This laptop came with Leopard. I've attempted holding the D key during boot with no DVD in the drive and with each of the DVD's that came with the laptop and with the Snow Leopard upgrade DVD. It only boots slower but eventually to the operating system not to the Tests. I've read that the tests that come with Mac laptops are hardware dependent and so I'm wondering if it won't work because of all the things that I've replaced. OR Is there a partition on the hard drive that is missing and probably unrecoverable. I also discovered a command that shows the "Debug" pull-down menu in the disk utility application and allows one to see all partitions and I only see one.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

2. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

The tests ARE hardware dependent but more along the lines of machine specific, meaning "AHT Test 1" will run on an Early 2008 15" MacBook Pro but not a Mid 2008 15" MacBook Pro. Hard drive specs, RAM specs, etc don't really matter so much other than the hard drive might falsely report a SMART failure if it doesn't support SMART monitoring.

The solution to your problem would be to track down the specific gray discs that came with your Mac, either through third parties or through AppleCare. These restore discs have AHT built in and can be used to run AHT on the appropriate Mac if the system has been wiped/reimaged.

3. brublag thread starter macrumors newbie

Cannot run AHT on 2006 MBP

As I said in the original post I have the original disks that came with this MBP, there were 2, and I've booted with each of them in the DVD drive and it takes longer to boot but the AHT does not start it eventually starts the OS X operating system.

4. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

I think I overlooked that, thinking you had only tried with an upgrade disc.

Does it boot properly? If so do the DVDs/discs mount a browse properly once the Mac is booted? i.e., does the optical drive work properly?

The specific disc should be labeled "Applications Install DVD" with a mention of AHT's version number, does this disc mount properly once booted?

It's been a while since I've needed to try, and I don't have a Mac/disc handy to try, but it seems like AHT will show as an option if you boot to the Startup Manager (hold option while powering on) with that second restore disc inserted.

Worst case you might be able to have an Apple service shop give you a copy of the disk image. AHT downloads are available through Apple's authorized service channels but are not available to end users. The rub though is AHT is customer/end user facing since it comes with Macs, based on that you might find a technician that can toss it on a thumb drive for you. They can determine the proper version needed based on your serial number or those gray restore discs. You could restore that disk image to a thumb drive and run it from there, using the Startup Manager I mentioned above.

Good luck!