Apple Hardware Test Results: Not good...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arkanok, May 9, 2008.

1. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Ok, so while trying to figure out possible problem with my hard drive (which is fine now) I inserted the DVD that came with my mbp into the drive, and pressed the "D" key on startup to enter the Apple Hardware Test. Now, again, I was looking for a problem with my hard drive; however, once the results came in, I found an entirely different and unrelated problem...

The error I recieved told me that I had a problem with the video controller. (click here to see an image of the error).

Now, I don't know exactly how this happened, or what exactly what the error code means, but what I do know is that I likely need to get my computer repaired, which is a shame because it's my only computer...

Having said that, does anybody know what this error means? Has anybody ever seen this error?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd give Apple a call.

Here's what a search turned up for me.

3. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Yeah I tried calling Apple, but it's a shame that without purchasing Apple Care, they are unwilling to help you over the phone -- pretty crappy customer service if you ask me. If someone is still under the 1-year warranty (which I am) they should help you out during the entire year. It's a shame because when you need help the most, it sucks hearing "Well if you pay us $399.99 (Canadian), we'll help you out over the phone." I realize Apple is a business, but I've never actually been told by any company before that in order to get customer service over the phone, I need to pay.

Nevertheless, I thank you for that link, I'll give it a look right now and see what I can come up with.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

5. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Well, the rep that I spoke to from the Apple Customer Support on the phone told me that when you buy a new Mac, you get 90 days over the phone support, and 1 year warranty support. He then told me that since I'm past 90 days, in order to get phone support, I'd have to buy Apple Care for $399.99, but could still go into an Apple Store and talk to a genius, and any work with them would be covered by the warranty.

6. Kaupa macrumors regular

Hi,
    have a look at ebay.com, there u get it for 220.
    Doesnt help you now, but i think it is worth the money because u have 3 years warranty too then!

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

How would you get an under warranty repair if you didn't have a store nearby? You're going to have to call.

8. Kaupa macrumors regular

No, they will send you 100 miles to the next shop!

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'd call back and talk to someone else. Be clear, you don't want tech support, you want Apple to repair your Mac under warranty.

10. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

That's what I asked him... I was just as shocked as you. Luckilly, I have an Apple Store within a 5 minute drive, so I count myself lucky.

11. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Took it to a Genius at the Apple Store, he said it looks like I'll have to get the logic board replaced... Kind of a bummer, although I guess it's good that I'll get brand new guts inside my computer.

With that, I have a followup question. When a new logic (main) board is installed, does that require me to format and re-install the operating system? (both OS X and Windows XP)

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's quite nice to have a store only 5 minutes away. :p

You're not going to need to reformat the drive but remember to always backup your data before you send it off anywhere. If there's anything sensitive you might want to handle that as well.

13. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Thanks for the warning! Actually, I have an external drive so I have everything backed up with Time Machine. Worst comes to worst, if I needed to format, I know I could easilly just restore everything with Time Machine -- Gotta love it! lol