Apple Hardware Test

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AppleFanatic10, Sep 25, 2011.

1. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I recently did a hardware test because for the past couple of days, my fans have been very loud for some reason. They go on and off every five minutes. Anyway, I got this error when the test was finished:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316997712.890478.jpg

Anyone know what this error is? Unfortunately I can't go to an apple store because the closest one is 2 hours away. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I have a 2010 unibody MacBook with 2GB of ram, running Lion 10.7.1, this was also an issue with SL. Has been doing this for about 2-3 days.

2. killerrobot, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

The interwebs point to it being a faulty sensor on the logic board. Some say it might be a heat sensor.
    The suggestions are:
    1) reset the SMC.
    2) download iStat and check and see there's not a temp reading that is reporting crazy numbers.

If the SMC doesn't help and the iState shows unexpected numbers by one of the sensors then it needs to get fixed. If you can't go to the Apple store call the 800 number and they'll send you a box to get it shipped in and fixed. You should have it back within a few days.

3. AppleFanatic10 thread starter macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I think it had something to do with the SMC (knock on wood), right now my fans are doing okay.. haven't heard anything from them and hopefully I won't have this problem again. Thanks for your help! :)

4. AppleFanatic10 thread starter macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Edit: Unfortunately, it's still going at high speeds when I am doing nothing, unless it is sleeping. Do you know how long it will take them? This is my main laptop and I really need it for school, etc. Thanks.

5. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

How about you call them and ask? :confused:

6. AppleFanatic10 thread starter macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Seriously, If you're not going to help... don't even post. No need to be sarcastic.

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I don't think he is being sarcastic.....

We don't know where you live in California that is 2 hours from an Apple Store and we don't know whether the MacBook is in warranty or not...

The only way to find out how long the repair will take is to contact Apple - you cannot expect anyone on this forum to give an accurate estimate of how long Apple Repairs turnaround will be !

8. AppleFanatic10 thread starter macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I have one month of warranty left (Nov. 1) and I was just asking because I know some people have had this issue before and I'm assuming they've gotten their macbooks repaired... just asking.

9. skywalkerluke macrumors newbie

Personally I have always taken my Macbook to a local store that is authorized to repair and sell apple products. When you call apple they offer to ether have a box sent to you or bring it in to a store nearest you. I have had my Macbook in for repairs two or three times over the last 4 years. They are always fast for the most part at the store. Depending if they have to order parts or if they have a lot of repairs that week it can be 2 - 10 days. Personally I had mine in for defective body, dead DVD/CD drive and failed/dead HDD :(

Hope this helps!

10. AppleFanatic10 thread starter macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Thanks, I already called them and a box should be here tomorrow or the next day. Hopefully, I'll get mine back soon. I had a couple other issues too (cracks on case). Sorry to hear about your troubles with your macbook, btw.