Apple Hardware Test

Discussion in 'macOS' started by arashb, Jul 13, 2012.

1. arashb macrumors 6502

Is there a way I can run the hardware test on my MBP without needing to put in the "Application Install Disk"?

I do still have it but I put in another hard drive in my MBP and don't have an external drive, if that would even work. My MBP came with 10.6, and if I'm reading Apple correctly, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509 , I cannot run the test without the disk?

2. arashb thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I read through that and the last post threw me off because it said all I need is the "CPU Help Files", but that's a PDF. Since it was 2 years old I wanted to see if there was another way since Lion was introduced. Thanks though.

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

thanks for using search.

"...starting with the unibody models, the Apple Hardware Test could be done without the install/application discs by holding down the "D" key as a pre-boot option BUT only if the original installation of the OS was present. So if you had Leopard and then installed to Snow Leopard, AHT would not load and would need to be done through the discs."

does that not help?

4. arashb thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh, sorry I should have mentioned. Although my MBP came with 10.6.7 I am now on 10.8 so I can't hold "D" while booting. I did mention I was on 10.6.7 but I forgot to type the rest of what I was thinking. My apologies. I'm trying to create a bootable USB of the disk by using my other Mac. But past experiences show that Apple is very picky with USB bootables, at least when it comes to trying to install Linux.

5. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

There is no way you could borrow a external Optical Drive?

6. arashb thread starter macrumors 6502

Over on the ML forums someone suggested to disconnect and reconnect my battery. For some reason that worked.... Thanks for your help charlieegan3 but it's fixed, not sure how that fixed it but I'm happy :D

7. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3