Apple Hardware Test

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jardins de Vin, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

From what I've heard, the AHT is included in the OS X installation since Mavericks, but for some reason, I don't have it. I have done fresh installs of Mavericks plenty of times, also of Yosemite and now I have an installation of El Capitan.

Does anyone know where I can get the AHT?

The company that sold me my Mac Pro sent me a DVD with the AHT on it back then, but the installation doesn't work on El Capitan anymore. It says it's not compatible anymore or something like that. So I need a newer version, for El Capitan, I guess.

So I was wondering if someone knew where to get it, or if someone could send it to me perhaps!

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Here is the Apple Support article about AHT. The software access will depend on the year of your MP.

3. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

My Mac Pro is from Mid 2010, and yeah I know that page, but that's not what I need! ;)

I need the AHT for download basically.

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I have not seen an official AHT download available from Apple. I have seen AHT downloads available from GitHub before, but I have no idea if it is safe. Try a internet search for "Apple Hardware Test download"?

5. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

the rule of thumb is, if your mac came with an optical drive, AHT is on one of your cds. if your mac did not come with an optical drive, its in a hidden partition on your hard disk.

installing os x does not install aht.

if you erased your hard disk, you might of erased aht.

github is safe

other then that, if your mac did not come with an optical drive, you should be able to still get aht over the internet
    try option command d, command d, control command d, etc etc and it might load

my mac mini 2010 tries to get aht, over the net, but I've seen an error like ' this version is not designed for this computer ' when it loads

your mac doesn't need to be under any warranty for the genius bar to run their tests on it, its free

and as always, apple hardware test does not test hard disk drives. it only tests for the presence of one