Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Penryn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
This is a question thats been on my mind for a little while and it is: if you were to build a PC that is to the exact same spec as, say, an iMac, that is you use the same model processor, logic-board, HDD etc., why would OS X not run on it? I mean OS X must be able to tell what is Apple hardware and what isn't so it must come down to software/firmware that lets OS X run on that hardware and thats what I was thinking about; if someone could find the piece of software that tells OS X that 'this is an Apple product' then you would be able to run OS X on anything, I guess ??

Sorry, just my ramblings, but very exciting if it could be done.

Penryn.

Penryn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Isn't the OSx86 project working around this or have they actually got the 'key'?
The way I understand it is that they take the kernel from a previously hacked version eg. 10.4.5 and then put this into 10.4.10 or whatever to give you the current release.
Anyways, I would like to try OSx86 one day but its a massive d/l and also Im not a fan of ripping off Apple.

Penryn

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Anyways, I would like to try OSx86 one day but its a massive d/l and also Im not a fan of ripping off Apple.

Well, if doing right by Apple is your concern, then you'll never run OS X on a non-Apple computer. This is from the OS X License Agreement:

"This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time."

spjonesi

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
Isn't the OSx86 project working around this or have they actually got the 'key'?
The way I understand it is that they take the kernel from a previously hacked version eg. 10.4.5 and then put this into 10.4.10 or whatever to give you the current release.

Penryn

Recent developments on the project allow the use of custom kernels for various types of machines. I know somebody that had it on a decent desktop <nothing to write home about> and it FLEW. He ditched it a while ago in favor of linux and xp combo and a new mac laptop...he was also not a fan of ripping off apple, but had to see how well it ran rosetta apps and more on x86. On that machine (ok an opteron dual core 2.0 ghz, 160gb sata, 80gb pata 1gb ram) it booted literally twice as fast as xp...and OS X was on the pata, xp on the sata.

I do _NOT_ recommend this though. I am also not a fan of ripping off apple...as I am a stockholder :D and currently a pretty happy guy.

joneSi

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
friend of mine tried it :)rolleyes:) never got it working though. Had trouble with getting the image to read once written to a drive.

Who knows. I've heard it's a neat little tinker project when it's done right, but it seems a little too advanced for me (despite having a fairly advanced knowledge of computer hardware)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.