Apple has 98% market share...

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by phaedarus, Dec 15, 2009.

1. appledyl macrumors regular

appledyl

hahah! I didn't know that those scientists used 98% macs!!! :D :D way to go antarctica scientists!

2. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you had bothered to go to the source, then you would know that has in an all together inappropriate word. The data were compiled by StatCounter.com. MacOS X had 98% of the Antarctican market in June 2009. The most recent numbers are closer to 1%. Overall, these numbers are close to irrelevant. Based on the volatility displayed in the graph, my guess is that the number of computers sold in Antarctica each month is less than 100 and maybe less than 10 during some months. With numbers this small, the purchase of a single computer can dramatically affect market share numbers.

Caveat: This is a total guess. The graph is accompanied by a .csv file contain the "raw data." However, there is nothing raw about the "raw data." They are the numerical percentages used to generate the graph.

4. phaedarus thread starter macrumors regular

Have you seen the sun lately?

Lighten up! Just enjoy the thread for what it is :D

5. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

No, he has a point. A 97% drop in market share in just a few months is a little worrying.

I wonder what Apple should do to reverse this trend before it gets worse. Perhaps a new advert? "Hi, I'm a Mac. And I'm a P-P-P-P-Penguin."?

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wow. Just wow.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If I pretend that it is still June, then I could enjoy this thread. I don't know about you, but I don't still laugh at Gerald Ford jokes.

8. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

If you seriously think they "sell" Macs in Antarctica... Well, I don't know what I'm going to do but it's going to be pretty bad.

9. phaedarus thread starter macrumors regular

Well, given the fact that Ford's tenure as the US President predated my birth, I can't say I was there personally to observe his particular brand of humour.

Nonetheless, I'm sorry that life has jaded you to the extent of being unable to enjoy a lighthearted thread without the propensity to over analyze its contents.

I was under the impression that Macrumours could use a little lightheartedness thus, the reason for my base post. My apologies that it wasn't palatable to you.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Do they have Apple Stores in Antarctica or do you have to buy your Macs from the morons at a Best Buy down there?

11. Johncarter macrumors newbie

Apple has huge market based company and it's not surprised with 98% market share....!!

12. run-kmc macrumors member

But what about the international space station?

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

My young friend, this was probably funny back in June 2009 when Apple had 98% of sales in Antarctica. In December when Apple's marketshare is 1% on the continent, it is not. With the exception of you, not many members of this forum will admit to laughing at jokes that are six months out of date.

14. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

15. nastebu macrumors 6502

I can no longer tell who's joking and who is serious.

16. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

That's what makes it funny!