Apple has a serious redundancy problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zorahk, Jun 8, 2011.

1. zorahk macrumors 6502

So let me get this straight:

iChat, Facetime, iMessage
    iCal, Reminders
    iBooks, Newstand
    Camera, Photos

does anyone else not see a HUGE problem with this? These should all be combined into single apps rather than have multiple apps that do almost the same thing!

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I rather agree. I wonder if the new apps will finally synch to-do items with iCal.

3. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Disagree about face time and iMessage. Facetime is built into the Phone app (on iPhone). Which make smore sense as facetime is for video calling not messaging. As for iChat, I can see it being able to handle iMessage on the mac side.

iCal and rmeinders -I agree

iBooks, news stand - Yes! I was so confused to why this wasn't. But there is no details on newstand yet. So maybe it will be different.

Camera/Photos. Yes and no. Sometimes I am glad there is a separate photo app. Especially when I let someone else use my phone.

4. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I agree completely.

But they went the other way iPod to Music and Videos.

We can't even hide Newsstand in a folder... I don't need this app at all.

They should also open source iMessage and Facetime, combine those and they'll have a serious competitor to Skype.

5. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

FaceTime is open source. No one other than Apple have really adopted it yet though.

6. Bear macrumors G3

• iChat and iMessage - Yes ; Facetime - No
    • iCal & Reminders - Probably
    • Camera & Photos - Not neccesariliy but maybe
    • iBooks & Newstand - Definitely not. One is for books, the other is for subscribed services (magazines and newspapers)
    Also, the purpose of having smaller apps on iOS is so they don't need as much memory to run. So maybe the answer to all of the above is keep them separate at least on iOS and do appropriate combinations on OS X.

7. iKennett macrumors 6502

Agree with -
    iChat, Facetime, iMessage

I would expect this to come with time once everyone gets used to the product. I still believe apple will release as little features as possible to make sure they get used, then as more to allow them to get use and etc (plus it helps to sell newer phones).

iCal, Reminders
    - Disagree with this as on a small device I think they need to be different otherwise you are having a single app with too much functionality.

iBooks, Newstand
    - Not sure as they are different... if they could work a name to cover them both while making it obvious i'm sure they will.

Camera, Photos
    Yes/No... again one it to take photos and one is to view. But the camera has a camera roll etc so I guess yes.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Camera/Photos would be a horrible combination.

What would the default launch screen show? Because whatever you answer I can tell you exactly why it's a bad idea.

There's no good way to launch that combo-app.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Generally yeah there definitely seems an unusal and un-apple lack of focus. I mean ical and reminders really should be one app.

I can see facetime being split out as they were (still are) making this an open standard.

iBooks and newstands are just overlapping and they should be a single app.

Camera and photos doesn't make that much sense. I don't want to go into the camera app just to work on my photos.