Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Since it's been revealed that Apple chose to use a soldered down, non-removable SSD in its 13-inch and 15-inch Touch Bar MacBook Pros, it's natural for users to wonder about the fate of their data in the event of a fault that requires a logic board replacement.

apple-cdm-macbook-pro-tool-2.jpg

Fortunately it appears as if Apple has a proprietary in-house tool to rescue stored user data when disaster strikes. 9to5Mac reports that a dedicated port on the logic board allows Apple staff to attach the recovery tool once the board's been removed from the chassis. The tool then transfers the data from the SSD to a working MacBook Pro's drive via one of its USB-C ports.

All indications are that users won't be able to get their hands on this recovery tool, as it's only available to Apple support staff for emergency use when a laptop sent in for repair won't boot.

Article Link: Apple Has an SSD Data Recovery Tool for Touch Bar MacBook Pros That Refuse to Boot

Last edited:
Reactions: keysofanxiety

dantastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
Any word on how much this will cost if you are out of warranty?
Or if you are moving to some other system? Like Windows or a Mac Pro which doesn't have USB-C?

Telos101

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2016
Ireland
Any word on how much this will cost if you are out of warranty?
Or if you are moving to some other system? Like Windows or a Mac Pro which doesn't have USB-C?

This is purely speculation but I'd wager Apple would do this for free if you were out of warranty - it's their own fault for soldering down the SSD.

Not sure about your other question, but I imagine they'd have an adapter to plug the tool into a non-USB-C device? Rumour has it they're big on dongles...

Reactions: jezbd1997

Moorepheus

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Niagara Falls, NY
This is purely speculation but I'd wager Apple would do this for free if you were out of warranty - it's their own fault for soldering down the SSD.

Don't hold your breath on that. If anything Apple does, they are not going to give away a service for free out of warranty ( iPhone 6 touch disease). All i see here is a money making machine for apple. You all have fun with that!!!

Terrinb

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
Don't hold your breath on that. If anything Apple does, they are not going to give away a service for free out of warranty ( iPhone 6 touch disease). All i see here is a money making machine for apple. You all have fun with that!!!

Bs. I almost guarantee Apple will do it for free.

I've taken out of warranty stuff to Apple to be fixed to an Apple Store. If they can fix something without cost to them other than labor they will usually do it.

Why should Apple fix out of warranty products for free? The touch disease only happens to phones dropped too hard.

Reactions: Jason83

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Bs. I almost guarantee Apple will do it for free.

I've taken out of warranty stuff to Apple to be fixed to an Apple Store. If they can fix something without cost to them other than labor they will usually do it.
Not BS. I too have had out of warranty work done for free by Apple. I have also been denied free out of warranty service by Apple. It's not their policy. It depends on the type of work and more importantly... scratch that, MOST importantly the employee in the store. Luck of the draw is not something I'd use to base a guarantee on for out of warranty service.

The touch disease only happens to phones dropped too hard.
This is BS. It's the same BS as the ubiquitous "a small number of customers have experienced..." PR line Apple trots out whenever there are issues. Touch disease wasn't about the phone being dropped too hard. Anyone believing that line really needs their head checked. That's a sad example of blame the customer for a design defect (which they promptly fixed in the next iPhone iteration).

Last edited:

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Not BS. I too have had out of warranty work done for free by Apple. I have also been denied free out of warranty service by Apple. It's not their policy. It depends on the type of work and more importantly... scratch that, MOST importantly the employee in the store. Luck of the draw is not something I'd use to base a guarantee on for out of warranty service.

This is BS. It's the same BS as the ubiquitous "a small number of customers have experienced..." PR line Apple trots out whenever there are issues. Touch disease wasn't about the phone being dropped too hard. Anyone believing that line really needs their head checked. That's a sad example of blame the customer for a design defect (which the promptly fixed in the next iPhone iteration).

I don't see why Apple would charge for a service that requires no parts. There is no monetary loss for them.

Although it is BS, the touch disease dilemma does require a logic board or device replacement.

My iPhone 6 had touch disease a few months before the 6s was announced and I always kept my devices in Otterbox's.

This is a design defect and hopefully Apple fesses up to it. Although in my specific case touch disease wasn't a thing yet and Apple did replace my screen once (to no avail) and then replaced the whole device for free.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
It doesn't help when the SSD is dead you still have to replace the whole logic board... :(

Its quite funny how Apple always wants to appear like the most environmental friendly company and then they pull crap like this. I remember when Apple needed to replace my battery (under warranty). They replaced the whole body housing and the keyboard just to replace the battery. Redic if you ask me

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I am the opposite. I love the Mac OS, and not really a fan of the iOS. I use an iPhone, but if I decided to stop using Apple products tomorrow, my iPhone would be the first to go.

Although I think both the iOS and Mac OS have been not as good as they used to be.
I used to like Apple laptop hardware... until this year's MacBook pro.

OSX is still fantastic. Shame Apple don't make it easy to run OSX on non Apple Pcs.

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
I realized not everyone does, but I backup my data each night. I'm way, way more concerned about being not being able to remove the SSD prior to sending it in for repairs (like I used to do with my old machines, just swap in the old HDD with the stock non password OS X install).

FileVault helps but perhaps someone can develop a secure erase method using the secret port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.