Apple has done Wonders...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LouieSamman, Sep 10, 2010.

1. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Apple has done Wonders...

Before Apple, I owned a pocketable digital camera, A GPS Device, A cell phone, a portable gaming device, A very slow PC laptop that was heavy and not portable at all!

Now over the years I replaced all that for just 3 devices.

-The iPhone 4

-The iPad

- & iMac 27"

Yes I use the iPhone 4 as a stand alone camera & video camera, the ability to take a photo, edit, and upload wirelessly without need of a computer is the best. I have a GPS app, use the video camera to take video, edit with iMovie and upload to YouTube in HD (720p) *wirelessly*, and of course use the iPhone as a Portable gaming device.

My iPad is my laptop replacement and is used as a digital book! I use it to read books with iBooks and replace college Textbooks with the app CourseSmart where all my textbooks are on my iPad! *But CourseSmart needs to update to allow you to download the eTexbooks rather than needing internet, Which they will in the future. Browse the web for reading content and of course the various apps that makes the iPad do much more especially watching YouTube on the iPad.

And lastly the iMac being used as for heavy gaming, taking online classes, iTunes, typing essays, and used for the ability to download things from the web that the iPad and iPhone can't do.

There is so much more potential for the iPad and iPhone. The iPad and iPhone will soon never need to be hooked up to a computer to sync and can be a stand alone device.

The simplicity apple has given us with these 3 devices is remarkable and has made my decision that I will stick to only apple for my tech purchases as they are heading to becoming even greater.

2. Lingham macrumors regular

3. mstrze macrumors 68000

Congrats! Apple has allowed you to live with 3 devices instead of 5. :p

4. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Hahaha, this is just a sharable insight on my take on Apple.

The complexity I had with things back in the years and how simple things have been with using apple has helped with stress over using technology and the many steps it takes to do one simple thing wheres apple makes it so stupid easy to learn and do.

I guess this is why there are lots of Apple fanboys. People notice this stuff and love to go wild on it.

5. mr0c macrumors regular

mr0c

... for your wallet too ;) and mine!

I haven't got the ipad yet, I'm waiting to see what the next model is like feature wise and making do with my 3yr old macbook pro, although I could use something lighter.

It seems heavier than it used too - maybe i'm getting weaker ;-)

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I've got the same setup going (with my spare 3GS in the wings, of course). It's awesome. I also eliminated the luggable laptop from my life by getting the iPad which is more than enough for my mobile needs these days.

7. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Yeah it's expensive, but as me and others do as well, we don't spend money on various/michellanous items that adds up over time.

I concentrate my money on items that are really useful when purchasing.

My room is very modern set, simple, I don't like clutter, and with me being that way has helped me concentrate my money on a few things instead of everything, such as apple tech.

Yeah it really is the best Combo.

Only reason to have a macbook would be if you travel a lot and you need a laptop for the flash based browser, power, and applications. More likely for business men.

Me being only 20. The iPad suffice to all my needs when taking it with me.

I do of course have the wifi model but when it comes to needing the internet for something I just use my iPhone.

I will get the iPad with 4g connectivity when that comes out because that would make the iPad much faster at browsing the web, along with the iPad being more powerful over every iPad generation.

iPad 3G is too slow for me to go and pay another $25 along with my iPhone bill.

8. gloomcookie1 macrumors regular

That's pretty close to what I have except I have the White 20" Core duo which is still humming along :)

Honestly it usually comes down to just the iPhone and iPad for most of my use but there are times that I miss using the iMac.

Glad you found a good combo...that's the one thing I love is the integration and one stop shopping in a sense. :apple:

9. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Not so much apple, but tech as a whole as done wonders over the years to consolidate and miniaturize tech over the years while making them even more powerful at the same time. The iPhone has replaced my digital camera and I now have a gps with me at all times (never bought a standalone unit), I also have a 13" inch laptop that is the most powerfull computer I've ever owned with windows 7, and I use a small Sony e-reader for all my textbooks and note taking. Tech is awesome.

10. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

In 10 years, textbooks would be obsolete, still here but I believe the iPad is going to hit up and be known to all colleges and be the way of purchasing your textbooks for your classes.

I can't imagine how advance tech is going to be in just 10 years that even the non tech savy people would start using tech because it's going to be in their daily lives.

11. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I've tried using ebooks for learning in a lesson. Within 1 hour, I became frustrated.

12. Tee Hee macrumors member

I doubt they'd replace textbooks totally.

Books don't need to be recharged, books don't have glitches, books are more expendable than a tablet.

I do see how they are better though. I don't have the best eye sight so if I don't have my glass/contacts I can just sit back and pinch and zoom.

13. mstrze macrumors 68000

-Carrying an extra book to class on an iPad would add no weight to your backpack/bag. Some days, I'd need to have 6 heavy texts in my case...with an iPad it would just be the one thin unit.

-You have never gotten a book with printing errors or folded pages or other 'glitches'? Plus how many iBooks have you gotten that have been 'glitchy'?

-Don't understand the 'more expendable' comment. :confused: I could see an issue with not being able to sell the book back. Maybe there could be book rentals?

I would be completely shocked if hard-cover textbooks weren't essentially gone from colleges within the next 10 years.

14. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Now the OP only needs to get a phone.

15. Subwaymac macrumors regular

Subwaymac

I wish you could update the iphone without syncing

16. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

When the iPad 3G gets a camera, and possibly shrink to a 6.5" screen, I may drop my iPhone again.

But, people used to call me Batman with all the damn crap I wore around my waist and belt, but so much has been consolidated into the iPhone, most especially with the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4.

17. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

What Steve Jobs has done with Apple is to create a massive cult like following. He followed in the footsteps of his boyhood hero Gerry Garcia.

Gerry Garcia beat Apple to the punch when he created his following the "Dead Heads". Hippies on drugs that worshipped Gerry & The Grateful Dead... just like Apple fanboys worship Steve Jobs & Apple.

18. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

My iPhone 4 has legitimately replaced my 2005 Fuji FinePix F31FD digital camera, which I used to take everywhere.
    My 3GS was just about insufficient enough(poor in low light and no flash, with comparable video) to replace it, so the Fuji remained in my bag.

The iPhone 4 takes genuinely superior images, and blows it out of the water with video.
    IMO, it's one of the first phones to do that. My friend got an HTC Desire last week, and while it's an excellent device, the video recording was average at best.

19. mstrze macrumors 68000

A recent article on the replacement of textbooks:

http://citizensvoice.com/news/more-students-buying-ebooks-instead-of-traditional-texts-1.1021249

"Tom Stanton, director of communications at McGraw-Hill Education, based in New York City, said the company has offered ebooks to colleges and universities across America for 10 years. Right now it offers 1,300 higher education ebooks and plans to offer all its textbooks in digital format in the future, while still offering materials in print form.

Recently there has been a "dramatic increase in demand" of ebooks, Stanton said. Digital books make up a small yet growing percentage of the company's yearly overall revenue in higher education sales, he said.

The company's ebooks are sold through its websites, traditional college bookstores and an online marketplace for major education publishers called CourseSmart, he said.

McGraw-Hill reported $1.2 billion in revenue from its higher education, professional and international group business in 2009, Stanton said. The figure includes revenue from college print and ebook sales. McGraw-Hill, he said, doesn't break down textbook and ebook sales figures. However, according to CourseSmart, the publishing industry has seen e-textbook sales double each semester over the past two years.

Stanton said students are becoming more aware of the special features a digital book can offer them such as interactivity, streaming audio and video, and search capability."

20. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I was prepared to purchase an iPad, simply to get my textbooks in digital format.
    ... then I realized my university rents textbooks.

As soon as I am offered the option of digital textbook rentals instead of paperback, I'll hop right on the iPad bandwagon and be very happy, as will my back.

21. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I see ebooks & conventional books coexisting for a long time. Each have their pros & cons, each have there place. To suggest that ebooks will replace conventional books is an irrelevant topic.

22. mstrze macrumors 68000

Why is it irrelevant? Just because YOU see them coexisting "for a long time" doesn't mean that they actually will. From what I am reading and hearing, your 'long time' is going to be another year or so....at least with textbooks.

The main reason? The cost savings of 50% of more off of hard copies of the book. Students are looking for any way to save money and this is a perfect example. You get essentially a brand new copy of the material for the cost of a used texbook. Plus, with the interactive features as noted in the article. And college students are almost always the early adopters of new technology.

This is like someone saying in 1995 that encyclopedias and the internet would coexist for a long time.