Apple has earned my respect big time (Story)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pst23, May 22, 2018.

1. pst23 macrumors 6502a

I just wanted to share my experience with each of you. So last week I woke up to a cracked MacBook Pro screen. The screen was not displaying any picture, but I was able to connect to an external monitor. I purchased my laptop in late winter 2017 (Touch Bar mbp). Although I do have apple care.... apple care + was not an option when I got my laptop.

I did not know what I was going to do.

In my conversations with Apple Technical Support - they were telling me it was going to be 99 dollars for the screen to be replaced. I explained to them that is the price for accidental damage with apple care +.

I was then told that it would probably be $299 for a new screen. This seemed really cheap to me. I wanted to get a realistic estimate before I started traveling to get it repaired.

Once dropping it off at the authorized service provider he told me it would be at least 600 dollars if not more

I was continuing to work with Apple Tech support over the phone and was assigned a Senior Advisor who then told me that to help me out she would provide me with a free courtesy repair on my mbp. Yes! Free of charge!!!!!

I have my laptop back and I am so grateful.

Hopefully this helps encourage someone to be patient if they find themselves in a similar situation.

2. Krayzkat macrumors 6502a

Krayzkat

Why was the price going up every time (until the end)?

3. pst23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They were giving me AppleCare + repair pricing information. Which were both incorrect - because I have regular apple care

Coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage, each subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other damage, plus applicable tax (1)
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/S6124LL/A/applecare-plus-for-macbook-macbook-air

Seeing as regular apple care does does not cover accidental damage the price to repair a screen is actually way more expensive which is why the price went up.

4. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

How do you wake up to a cracked MBP screen? Did gremlins visit you in the middle of the night and take a sledgehammer to it?

5. pst23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

:)

6. narcolpetic-haze macrumors newbie

Glad the end result was good in the end, but look at how you got there before you get all warm and fuzzy over Apple.

1. A 1 yr old $$$ premium laptop screen randomly broke itself.
    2. Customer support quoted you an incorrect repair cost.
    3. Customer support quoted you a (different) incorrect repair cost, again.
    4. Only after dropping it off for the repair were you given the correct (estimated) repair cost, which greatly exceeded the previous 2 quotes you were given.
    5. Finally only after further inquiries and persistence on your part did you get a satisfactory solution.

Sorry for the salty reply, but I'm a bit disillusioned with Apple support at the moment.

7. pst23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

To be honest - they didn't have to do anything. At first I thought they were just going to discount the cost. I was surprised.

8. pst23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

One month later and laptop would not turn on.

Apple had to replace logic board, battery, hard drive and two I/o boards

9. pst23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update after this screen replacement. A month later my computer would not power on or charge. Took in my MBP to an Apple Store and the top case of my MBP was replaced (logic board, batter, hard drive memory etc). Original screen replacement was a bad screen and had marks (possible staingate). Screen was replaced again.

10. pst23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

For all of this Apple also sent me a free magic keyboard space gray.