Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
Am I the one that doesn't see the flaws in iOS 11 or have bigger things to worry about so I dont notice them?

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
You want both options? Go Galaxy, LG, or OnePlus. TouchID feels older to me because it feels slower. Samsung's is much faster. FaceID is solid, but the swipe motion slows down the process.
That’s probably what I will do. Waiting to see if the note 9 comes out with under display finger print sensor.
[doublepost=1523374241][/doublepost]
Many folks prefer TouchID and many prefer FaceID. There are many arguments to support either. Apple has adopted FacedID. All phones in 2018 (not counting SE2) will no longer have TouchID. You can either accept the future or live in the past.
Apple adopted it yes but that doesn’t mean it was the best thing to bring to the table. Should’ve gave us both so we had a choice.

Reactions: Breezygirl

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
That’s probably what I will do. Waiting to see if the note 9 comes out with under display finger print sensor.
Apple adopted it yes but that doesn’t mean it was the best thing to bring to the table. Should’ve gave us both so we had a choice.

Why even bother for the Note 9? It's going to be an improved S9+. Just get the S9+ when it's on sale since you'll get the same processor, RAM quantity, similar screen quality, dual stereo speakers, similar cameras, exact water resistance standards, a SD slot, and similar LTE or Wifi tech.

The Note 9 will just have a marginally bigger screen, a S-Pen, and a smaller battery. Definitely not worth near $1000. If you had trouble paying $1000 for the iPhone X, you'll be back on these forums discussing why you want to spend less on an Android device.

I know some of us made the mistake about purchasing something at launch and regret the price paid months later, but try to avoid that pitfall. Know your budget well, what you want, and use something that makes you happy.

If you do not like iOS, do not use it. If iOS is too behind in features, go Android. Just make sure you find the right fit and be prepared to make sacrifices.

With Apple, the sacrifices are: minimal customization, premium pricing, an ecosystem is required for optimal features, buggy software requiring numerous patches, limited advancements, nickel and dime schemes, and others.

What you gain: timely software updates, years and years of longevity/support, clean software, premium warranty support, plenty of accessories to compliment your phone, a strong suite of first party services, quality photography and video recording, access for first app updates, and something that simply works.

If you're not prepared to make the sacrifice, then Apple is not for you.

For me, I am not interested in something that nickel and dimes, is really behind on features, has abhorrent pricing for my budget, offers little advancements, etc.

So I rather spend $500 on a OnePlus 5T knowing that I can get a couple years of updates, more multi-tasking, and the best specs than $1000 for Apple's best specs.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
you still do

iPhone 8 or iPhone x

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
To be honest, I haven't really noticed any issues with iOS 11..

As Someone who is heavily involved in iOS as I am, I also agree with you that I have not found many issues even from the start. And I’m not someone that’s ignorant or necessarily searches for issues, but I would not be ashamed either if I found many problems iOS 11, Which I openly Would admit if I had. iOS 11 to me isn’t the best version of iOS, but I generally don’t have any complaints either.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
To be honest, I haven't really noticed any issues with iOS 11. High Sierra on the other hand..

Same here. My ad-blocker is no longer working system-wide which is a huge disappointment, but hardly a functionality issue.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Not really much of a choice if you want a 2017 iPhone:

State of the art vs stop-gap form-factor that will be phased out pretty quick.

Both came out in 2017. You may not like one of them, but the point remains that internally they are pretty modern and state of the art.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Both came out in 2017. You may not like one of them, but the point remains that internally they are pretty modern and state of the art.

We're at a point where the difference between high end processors is pretty much negligible in the grand scheme of things since it's all about software differentiation and other hardware differentiation.

Just including a headphone jack can get some critical acclaim when a headphone jack was standard 5 years ago. Yes, the A11 processor is pretty state of the art. But look at the whole picture the 8+ provides? Aesthetically similar to the iPhone 6+, 6S+, and 7+. It packs some nice bulk too. Apple doesn't do enough with the bigger screen too.

The iPhone 8/8+ will be outdated by this fall since Apple will ditch all home button phones and push FaceID models at bigger screen sizes. Even if it is a LCD model w/ a 6.1" screen, it will still take advantage of the iPhone X's form factor w/ gestures and other software features.

The X is overpriced for what it is. If Apple makes the X an entry level at $699, you're talking about the best phone on the market if OSes are not considered. Hardware alone, you're talking about a top tier camera, a fantastic processor, sufficient RAM, slim size, good battery life, a quality OLED display, etc.

The iPhone 8+ has decent hardware, but I don't think Apple does enough to take advantage of the hardware in terms of multi-tasking.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Why even bother for the Note 9? It's going to be an improved S9+. Just get the S9+ when it's on sale since you'll get the same processor, RAM quantity, similar screen quality, dual stereo speakers, similar cameras, exact water resistance standards, a SD slot, and similar LTE or Wifi tech.

The Note 9 will just have a marginally bigger screen, a S-Pen, and a smaller battery. Definitely not worth near $1000. If you had trouble paying $1000 for the iPhone X, you'll be back on these forums discussing why you want to spend less on an Android device.

I know some of us made the mistake about purchasing something at launch and regret the price paid months later, but try to avoid that pitfall. Know your budget well, what you want, and use something that makes you happy.

If you do not like iOS, do not use it. If iOS is too behind in features, go Android. Just make sure you find the right fit and be prepared to make sacrifices.

With Apple, the sacrifices are: minimal customization, premium pricing, an ecosystem is required for optimal features, buggy software requiring numerous patches, limited advancements, nickel and dime schemes, and others.

What you gain: timely software updates, years and years of longevity/support, clean software, premium warranty support, plenty of accessories to compliment your phone, a strong suite of first party services, quality photography and video recording, access for first app updates, and something that simply works.

For me, I am not interested in something that nickel and dimes, is really behind on features, has abhorrent pricing for my budget, offers little advancements, etc.

So I rather spend $500 on a OnePlus 5T knowing that I can get a couple years of updates, more multi-tasking, and the best specs than $1000 for Apple's best specs.
Don’t have no issue paying $1000 I want good quality for that $1000 tho. And I’m waiting for the note 9 because there has been some rumors it will have a under display finger print sensor where the s9+ does not.
[doublepost=1523416494][/doublepost]
you still do

iPhone 8 or iPhone x
Sorry I don’t want a 6sss
[doublepost=1523416568][/doublepost]
Much disagree.
Ok and that’s your opinion. My opinion Face ID fu**ing sucks.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Don’t have no issue paying $1000 I want good quality for that $1000 tho. And I’m waiting for the note 9 because there has been some rumors it will have a under display finger print sensor where the s9+ does not.

What's the point of spending $1000 just for an under the screen fp sensor? The rear one is top of the line anyway.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
What's the point of spending $1000 just for an under the screen fp sensor? The rear one is top of the line anyway.
Not spending 1k on just that. I’d just prefer to have one on the front. I had the s8 and didn’t really like it on the back.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Apple has really lost there touch. Saw where they weren’t gonna give use any new features in iOS 12 because they want to fix bugs. That BS. I gave a $1000 for a phone to a company that can’t even make a stable software. They have been doing iOS for 10 years now you would think they would be able make a software that’s doesn’t have so many damn bugs. And still be able to give use features. Kinda wish I would’ve bought an lg to be honest.

Maybe you should migrate to Windows 10 on a surface and Windows phone.

Good luck!

lol.

tresmith

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
I'm actually ok with apple taking a year off from features every 4 to 5 years to make the software stable and secure.

Also this is the "S" year for the X so it makes sense to fix all the problems from the year before.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Really don’t understand how you are having so many issues with Face ID.

I wouldn’t get your hopes up on fingerprint under the display on note 9..be surprised if we ever see it on any flagship device.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm actually ok with apple taking a year off from features every 4 to 5 years to make the software stable and secure.

Also this is the "S" year for the X so it makes sense to fix all the problems from the year before.
Just no. We’re paying through the noses for these things, it is reasonable for us to expect as consumers that Apple get these things right. The X was in development for three years - so whether it’s an S year or not makes no difference.

Besides, 2017 was actually the first non-S year since 2014.

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
I was happy with my X the first time I used it. I don't require new features. Devoting resources to fixing any current bugs is fine with me.

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
I love these. I know this is a joke but, Steve would have fought bigger screens to the bitter end. And Apple Pencil? Idk, I’m not sure we can say for certain that Apple would be better overall today with him at the helm.

Well it was better overall with him at the helm for over 10 years when he returned to the company. I really don’t understand how anyone can even question if it would be better if he was still there today. I mean his track record speaks for itself doesn’t it?

If you mean would we still have bigger screens which he was reluctant to, you need to bare in mind that he approved the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini (which he was initially against) before he passed.
Steve changed his mind a lot about things, so just because he didn’t like big phones in 2011 doesn’t mean he’d have been against them over time. He would change his mind if it was the right thing for business, and the thing I liked about him was he liked being proven wrong and could admit to it.
[doublepost=1523491757][/doublepost]
Yeah but I doubt the notch would exist or the lightning port underneath the Magic Mouse would exist or prossibly the dongle “culture” would exist.

I feel like the AirPods is the most “Steve jobs” like device Apple has put out since Steve left in terms of design, “just works” user experience and minimalism. No major, quirky features or functionality.

And do you wanna know why that is? It’s because the AirPods are mainly all hardware which for the most part Apple is still good at. There’s no software mucking it up like iOS 11 or macOS which they are not so good at anymore.

Last edited:

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016

Lots of interesting points and it is mainly true about apple. I sold my Black Stainless Apple Watch, my 6s, my unopened apple TV in favor of a Note 8. It has been a huge adjustment and there definetly some pros and cons. I was not really involved in Apples Eco system (no cloud, no imessage, face time ocassionally). I do miss the simplicity of Apple for sure and some of their integrated features. The Samsung is more freelance and less cost intensive.
I mean why couldn't Apple not put a quick charger in the box like Samsung did?
The Samsung flagship was $960 and the Apple was $999 & $1149.

Funny thing is I even contemplated doing the Apple all over again I picked up an X and thought of buying the watch and airpods... ‍♂️‍♂️

Reactions: nviz22

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
And do you wanna know why that is? It’s because the AirPods are mainly all hardware which for the most part is still good at. There’s no software mucking it up like iOS 11 or macOS which they are not so good at anymore.

Yeah but everything I mentioned was hardware...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.