Apple has not warrantied the top case like many have said.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Prof., Feb 1, 2010.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Contrary to popular belief, Apple has not warrantied the polycarbonate top case for their MacBooks. I just got off the phone with Apple and they said if you are still covered by the original or extended warranty, they will replace it for free. However, if you are no longer covered, you will have to pay $200 for a new top case.

I personally think this whole situation is being handled poorly. The MacBooks are prone to cracking, it is a design defect. Apple should replace the top case for free even if it's out of warranty. It's their fault this is happening.

Sigh. :(

2. jumpman23j macrumors newbie

I had mine replaced for free in Dec when I was out of warranty. I took it in for the dreaded magsafe burn in cord problem. Maybe you should try your luck with you local apple store.

3. firewater macrumors regular

I had 2006 macbook that was fix last year that was also out of warrenty. I went in to my local apple store in Burlingame CA and ask about the free replacement program that apple was still offering. Best of luck:)

4. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

If MacBooks are prone to cracking then the buyer (you) are prone to accept that. It's their fault that happening? Maybe, but Apple doesn't know how people use their MB which may cost to cracking too. If Apple is replacing all crack MB then they are also replacing cracks that's done by users too. That's not how people do business.

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Where are the cracks? I think the cracks that are covered are by the palm rest.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

The original SOP/guidelines were the palm rests and then the surrounding areas, don't remember seeing the top case (LCD portion) being outlined. I can't say for certain but I'm assuming those who have had any cracks not outlined in the SOP were done out of customer satisfaction.

7. bonanza888 macrumors newbie

Top Case COVERED

I JUST got this done, make an appointment at the genius bar and they will do it for you FOR FREE if it's under 3-years of purchase. Furthermore you can get the top case from macsales.com for $50 NEW. AND they even cover the white casing (body only) if it shows cracks, but will probably have to be shipped for repair. Otherwise it's a 1-hr job at the store. Cheers

8. TheBonk macrumors 6502

TheBonk

I just had my top case replaced for free a couple weeks ago at the Apple Store. My Macbook has been out of warranty for 2 years. They do fix em at no charge if you've got the palm rest cracks, since Apple admits it's a manufacturing defect. You may even get lucky and they'll replace any part that has a crack. They replaced my bezel along with the top case, even though they didn't have to.

9. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Turns out the guy I talked to was an operator and had no knowledge of the warrantied top case.:rolleyes:

I'll go to Apple and get my MacBook repaired when I have some free time.