Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During today's earnings call covering the third quarter of 2017, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced that Apple has now sold 1.2 billion cumulative iPhones since the device was first introduced in 2007.

Apple sold its 1 billionth iPhone back in July of 2016, so in the last year, the company has sold another 200 million devices. According to Apple's earnings results, iPhone sales were at 41 million devices in the third quarter alone, bringing in more than $24.8 billion.

iphone-7-plus-colors-800x247.jpg

According to Apple CEO Tim Cook, sales of the current-generation iPhone 7 Plus have been impressive and are "up dramatically" compared to sales of the iPhone 6s Plus in 2016. Sales of both the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus are up "strong double digits" compared to the year-ago quarter.

Since the iPhone was introduced in 2007, Apple has introduced new features and improvements with each successive device. This year, we're expecting to see Apple unveil the iPhone 8, a radically redesigned device with an edge-to-edge OLED display, no Home button, and a new front-facing camera system that enables facial recognition technology.

Article Link: Apple Has Now Sold Over 1.2 Billion iPhones

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
4 comments in and no Dr. Evil meme... our standards are slipping.

That is a seriously impressive number of iPhones. I'm sure they'll reach 2 billion one day unless they really mess up.

Olz

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2017
I hate to say it, but unless Apple is serious about recycling, that sure is a lot of landfill.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
One of the most successful products of all time. It is a privilege to have been able to see the introduction of a product that changed the world forever. I keep each iPhone that I've ever bought in it's box with the accessories. I actually keep the packaging of every Apple product I buy. I don't do this with any other products except watches.

now i see it

macrumors 604
Jan 2, 2002
Just manufacturing 1.2 billion nails is a noteworthy accomplishment, let alone an electronic device.

I think it might be safe to guess that a large percentage of current iPhone users are probably on their third iPhone version by now (if not more).

If that were true, then over 700,000,000 old iPhones were tossed in the trash. And I think it's safe to say that at least 600,000,000 (1/2 of 1.2 billion) are buried in land fills. Mind boggling numbers.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I do wonder if the likes of Samsung/ Huawei/ Oppo who makes tons of low end Android devices with no updates have the same action plans.

Every major smartphone manufacturer has a recycling program, where you can either take the phone to a designated location (e.g. Best Buy) or go on the web to print out a free mailing label. The phones go to recyclers which have (at least in the US and EU) been certified for greenness. They may or may not use automated methods.

The problem is that very few phone users (of any type or brand) know about these programs or take advantage of them.

Americans alone dispose of around a half million phones a DAY, of which fewer than 10% are recycled. And of those few that are recycled, eight out of ten are sent on container ships overseas to centers in places like China and India, which are often unregulated.

Last edited:

Hannah300

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2017

During today's earnings call covering the third quarter of 2017, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced that Apple has now sold 1.2 billion cumulative iPhones since the device was first introduced in 2007.

Apple sold its 1 billionth iPhone back in July of 2016, so in the last year, the company has sold another 200 million devices. According to Apple's earnings results, iPhone sales were at 41 million devices in the third quarter alone, bringing in more than $24.8 billion.

iphone-7-plus-colors-800x247.jpg

According to Apple CEO Tim Cook, sales of the current-generation iPhone 7 Plus have been impressive and are "up dramatically" compared to sales of the iPhone 6s Plus in 2016. Sales of both the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus are up "strong double digits" compared to the year-ago quarter.

Since the iPhone was introduced in 2007, Apple has introduced new features and improvements with each successive device. This year, we're expecting to see Apple unveil the iPhone 8, a radically redesigned device with an edge-to-edge OLED display, no Home button, and a new front-facing camera system that enables facial recognition technology.

Article Link: Apple Has Now Sold Over 1.2 Billion iPhones
[doublepost=1501650152][/doublepost]Absolutely amazing! I purchased my iPhone a few months back from WOW.lk, an online store with great deals & discounts!
http://www.wow.lk/mall/buyonline/iphones/?Ns=sku.inventoryAvailability|0

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
So…is this the same iPhone 7 that no one would buy because it doesn’t have a headphone jack? :rolleyes:
Those sales figures include all iPhone models sold during that time period.
Currently includes the SE, 5S, 6/6+, 6S/6S+, 7, and 7+.
I don't recall Apple breaking down sales by model.

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
Those sales figures include all iPhone models sold during that time period.
Currently includes the SE, 5S, 6/6+, 6S/6S+, 7, and 7+.
I don't recall Apple breaking down sales by model.
From the article:
sales of the current-generation iPhone 7 Plus have been impressive and are "up dramatically" compared to sales of the iPhone 6s Plus in 2016

Is it really that hard to believe that the headphone jack thing just isn’t a big deal for most people?

kdarling

macrumors P6
So…is this the same iPhone 7 that no one would buy because it doesn’t have a headphone jack? :rolleyes:

None of my teen daughter's friends will get one because of that. Eventually they'll have no choice, of course.

Is it really that hard to believe that the headphone jack thing just isn’t a big deal for most people?

Is it really so hard to believe that many people do care, but they still prefer to get an iPhone for other reasons (e.g. iMessage)?

Don't confuse being trapped in an ecosystem with liking all of it.

That's like claiming people prefer square smartwatches. But with Apple, they simply have no other choice.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
From the article:
I get that, but it's still not a breakdown of units. All the models I mentioned are still produced and sold and are included in the sales numbers.
Obviously a new model is going to be the largest contributor, but it is not being reported as only iPhone 7 sales, it's total iPhone sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.