Apple Has restarted Tracking iPhones again

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by jeyf, Oct 13, 2012.

1. jeyf macrumors 6502a

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

What makes you think Apple ever stopped tracking your iPhone? They've always had a very good idea what you do with it and they always will.

3. luketheduke macrumors newbie

To be honest, I've never really had a big problem with this sort of thing.

No doubt Apple and others would be doing it to gather info to improve their products or services.

Ultimately it results in better products, which benefits us all.

It's very similar to how Google uses data to improve their search results and advertising. I don't have any issues with that either, after all they're letting me use their service for free, and I'm just one anonymous person statistic in billions.

I also find it somewhat amusing when people object to Google putting usage info to good use to improve their service, when at the same time they enjoy how well it works and will also like future features and improvements.

4. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

5. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

This very much, well said.

6. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

But then you get those Apple loyalists who refuse to believe that Apple is anything like Google and deny that Apple does this.

7. matrix07, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012

matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

It's very un-similar in that Apple doesn't steal your datas at the same time, or lie about deleting said datas when they don't. What's in it that they can't be straight-face about it? How far will they go for your datas behind you? We all know how far Apple's willing to go, and that's not far. So it's just incomparable really.

You know what's amusing. It's these people who think these two companies are comparable on this issue. Talking about head in the sand.

8. Boilermaker_coday macrumors member

Very true statement. And to be honest, this kind of thing is a fact of life nowadays. You will be tracked with whatever type of internet connected technology you use. Google is the worst. It would scare a lot of people to find out what google knows about them, based on their social networking profiles and their internet use (did you know that google search results aren't the same for everybody when they search for identical terms? The results you see are tailored to you specifically, to a point).

9. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I think EVERYONE is aware, since advertisers have been doing this since day one of the App Store. It's never been a secret. And you can easily turn it off.

10. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

My issue is that 1) I should be told that I'm being tracked and 2) I want to know and be in control with what is being done with my data.
    Also the difference is that Google's "main" source of revenue is tracking and selling what you do and where you are. Apple make money off of products etc.
    If Apple wants to know how many people are using Passbook - ok in aggregate I don't have a problem with that - use it summarize it and destroy the details ok. But if they are storing that data and later someone else private or government then wants to know what I'm doing and where then I have a problem with it and I don't think I have anything to hide which has no relationship to potential government use.

Personally, I'm not interested in personalized ads. I never click through to anything even if I'm interested in the product - then I go directly to the web site.
    I understand the world is now tracking usage and selling my data but that doesn't mean that I like it.

11. kthnxshwn macrumors regular

12. Idefix macrumors 6502

it's a big deal because Apple has it turned on by default!

It should be turned OFF by default, and Apple should ask you to opt in.

That's the ethical way to implement this...

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's on by default and you agree to it! If you actually read the eula when you turn the phone on it states that ad tracking is enabled on your iOS device and to follow the user manual if you wish to opt out!

14. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Here is who tracked you when you made this one thread.:D How many of them do you have the option of opting out of?:eek:

[​IMG]

15. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

You were.

You did not read the user agreement before you accepted it did you.

Not Apple's fault.

16. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

It's not.

People simply need to be outraged about something, and this is the latest thing.

It's a non issue.

17. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Ahhh...signing the user agreement...:p

Attached Files: