Apple has screwed me! when did they get soo bad!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beyondink, Apr 16, 2008.

1. beyondink macrumors newbie

I am a graphic designer and last year I bought my second Apple (first one never had problems).. a MacBook Pro and had absolutely no problems with it other than you could cook an egg behind the F keys when it was running for a while or underneath... I physically burned my skin one time.... Ohh and had to return the first one they sent to me because it didn't turn on.. But it ran fine then one day i get one of those automatic updates from apple and I upload it.. after its done uploading it asked if I wanted to restart I said yes.. well it never came back on. It won't do anything.. I called apple and told them the situation and they had a box sitting on my door step the next day.. this as you knwo was a problem with the Macs and sure enough it was the Motherboard... here is where it gets messed up they called me and said we cannot fix your computer because it has been dropped and broken.. I was floored I have never dropped it.. there is a small dent on the corner right above where you can hook up another monitor but that is thin metal there... they wanted me to pay $1500 on a $2000 computer to put a new motherboard in. I told them the situation and the fact I had my whole life on that computer.. trips, wedding pics, not to mention all of my clients files.... well the women was very rude to me so I asked to speak to her manager who was equally as rude.. I am not sure I will get my company to ever purchase Macs again and this even has me wanting to sell my IPod... So now i am paying payments on something I cannot use.. does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do? All I want is the computer back to how it was before the update thats it.. nothing new I dont want a new computer just mine back :( please help :(

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Have you got the machine back or does Apple still have it ?

3. chriswheat macrumors regular

First: email sjobs@apple.com and see if there's anything the higher-ups at Apple would be willing to do for you.
    Second: take some pictures so we can see the damage to the corner. It would be good to include those in the email to apple as well.

Do you have the computer now or does Apple?

4. Heil68 macrumors member

Thats too bad. I would try to take it to a apple store and see if they can do anything about it.

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Exactly how did the dent get there? Thin metal? Are you serious? It's hard to argue against the obvious.

Also, if you use it for work, how can you not already have a backup plan in place? You can't blame Apple for your own data loss. With some effort, you should be able to remove the drive once you get the laptop back and throw it in an external case. Obviously, that won't fix your dead laptop - but at least you should get your data.

6. beyondink thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry for the grammer:)

Sorry about the run on sentences, punctuation, and spelling guys. I did this while I was waiting for a conference call and was just frustrated. I have the machine, and I did have the clients files backed up, I meant just can't work on them. I am no way blaming Apple for the lost files or really that it stopped working. I know these things happen. What I am upset about its how rude the people at Apple were and the fact that would not fix it even after they paid the expense to overnight a box to me and then back to them. I am not saying the metal is thin just there is a thin strip of it above the place to plug in your external monitor that got bent. It was pushed in when I packed it up to take to the office, just cosmetic. Like I said ran perfect up until that upload. I will try the email I appreciate you guys taking the time to read my rant. I Just hate to pay for something I can't use, and really need to use.

7. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I'd like to see a pic of the dent.

8. asmallchild macrumors regular

what did you expect?

if there's a dent on the unit, there's no way of confirming whether it's because of normal use or an actual drop

would you give your customers the benefit of the doubt? and how long do you think your company would stay afloat to constantly give customers that leeway?

9. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

I would like to see a picture of the dent as well-- I have to admit that when I saw the title of your thread, I was not expecting the story you wrote-- they are not really screwing you!

I do feel bad for you though and hope things work out.

10. Abraxsis macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

OK ... #1, as an Art Director/Graphic Designer NEVER, EVER EVER NEVER EVER EVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVAR, leave all your client's work on a frikin laptop. ALWAY ALWAY ALWAYS make backups on an external hard drive, if not 2 separate drives. I know you said you have backups, but Im sure you lost some work. I do a backup across 2 external hard drives, one is connected via special USB cable of my own design, and placed in a modified fireproof lockbox that is bolted to the floor. No burn, no steal, and secure. If lost my data I would literally be screwed, not to mentioned fired, lol.

#2, graphic designers depend on computers these days, ALWAYS have a backup machine to be able to continue work on. Heaven help me for saying this HERE, but I keep a adequate Windoze machine running with all the software needed as a backup. Its cheap and effective in a pinch.

#3, if there is a dent, that is Apple's discretion to not provide warranty. Trust me it blows, but that is what it says in the warranty document. Ive keep calling back, and email the already given addresses and hope for the best.

11. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

I think there is more to this story.
    I have had apple send me a newer computer than I had bought for a replacement.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

First: Stevie will just tell you to chill; that's the kind of person he is.
    Second: This is why you take it to store.

13. beyondink thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys, there really isn't more to the story. I uploaded an update that Apple sent and when I rebooted it would not start up. I will take picture of the "dent", which in my opinion is not indicative of a drop.... which I know has never occurred. I don't want or care to get a new or newer computer at all, I just want this one back to the way it was 5 minutes before the update was uploaded. I don't think I have lost anything, just need to pull the hard drive if it comes down to that.

I should clarify. I am a Graphic Designer and art director in which I use a G5. This Mac Book was my personal computer that I was using to do freelance work on.

I guess I was a little hasty with saying they screwed me, but I loved that computer and I feel helpless, and the way I was treated by Apple. I understand not being able to replace every computer. You would go out of business in a heartbeat. However this was an admittedly problematic update from Apple, not to mention the Mac Book issues (i.e.: cooking surface casing). I just want to get it back to its former glory you know.

I guess I will try emailing that email address you guys gave and see if that will help. If nothing else maybe I can find a cheap motherboard to replace the other one. Just makes me sick to make payments on something I can't use. And the fact I have never dropped it and done nothing but taken care of it disheartens me. I realize that to an outsider, who knows what I did to that computer. I could have thrown it down a flight of stairs for all they know, but I honestly never even dropped it. It is nothing more than a superficial bend in the metal. Anyway I will give it a try. Thanks everyone who gave me actual suggestions I greatly appreciate it!

14. asmallchild macrumors regular

Why not take it to an Apple Store and see if they will cover the repair there?

You mention dent on the phone and people will be scared off.

Bring it in person and if they see it's not a dent as a result of a violent drop, they might help you with a repair. Or at the very least, maybe knock a couple of bucks off the price. A lot easier to negotiate in person than over the phone.

15. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

Do you have :apple:Care on the computer? Is it still within the 1 year timeframe to get it? :confused:

16. nufanec macrumors regular

AppleCare would not cover accidental damage anyway.

What I'm presuming has happened here is that the dent has caused damage to the logic board at the top right hand edge. Unfortunately this would mean that when Apple inspected the logic board, even if the damage has not caused the issue in question, it is still an accidentally damaged part and could not be replaced under warranty. They do not deny service due to accidental damage to the casing only. I'd like to see pictures of the dent too if you have some...

Also, it is pretty much impossible for a software update to cause a hardware failure. A firmware update maybe... Do you know what update it was?

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you never dropped it how did it get the dent?

I've seen MBP and Powerbooks dropped without any sign of case damage. To cause a dent there has to be a pretty severe impact.

If they already inspected it, the service record is attached to your serial number. Thus going to a different Apple Care location / type will most likely be a waste of time, because the first thing any of them will do is to open up the case history.

Also, what does the bill say? Be interested to see a scan or itemized pricing.

18. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Oh.. I have a idea. Why not buy a bottom case from powerbook-parts and exchange the case out before returning the machine to Apple for a warranty repair. I really do doubt Apple made any records on their system regarding the condition of your machine... therefore one could get away with it, certainly in a store.

Alternatively, just because your logicboard is or has died, there's no reason why you can sell off the machine on ebay stating the machine is faulty, needs repair blah... I know other do it.. Some e-buys will buy it simply for the parts... The TFT alone (if in good condition) is worth a tidy bundle. Just a thought.