Apple Has Second Thoughts on Universal Chargers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RTiii320, Feb 17, 2009.

1. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

I think it would be a great idea for all phones to have the same charger plug. HOWEVER, if this were to happen that would mean Apple would have to add another plug input to the iphone along with the "dock" connector that all other iPods and iPhones have... Apple already has a "universal" plug with their "dock connectors" its pretty rare going to a buddies house and them not having any type of Apple USB cord to charge your phone..

So I am on both sides, In favor of a Universal Charger, but against Apple making another place for another charger... I know I know, I can't have it both ways!

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/02/17/apple_absent_from_universal_phone_charger_push.html

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Most of these companies have a different charger for each model and NEEDs some kind of standard.

Apple does have a standard. It's the iPod dock connector that fits into any USB port.

By the way, Apple does not have "second thoughts", as it probably never considered it in the first place, since Apple already has hundreds of millions of compatible iPod and iPod cables.

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

You cant get more universal than Universal Serial Bus. :rolleyes:

4. iHarrison macrumors regular

iHarrison

Agreed...the capability to charge the iPhone with just any usb port cable is amazing. I don't know how many times I've needed a charge and not had mine on me. I've been able to just ask a friend for their iPod USB and bingo I'm juiced up!

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Simple solution: Make all phones and media players compatible with the Apple USB charging cords. Derr... :rolleyes:

;):D

6. RTiii320 thread starter macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

Maybe reading the actual story by following the link would of helped you make a more factual post post...

[​IMG]

They most certainly ARE having second thoughts.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

"Second thoughts" means Apple was going to join, but then changed their minds and backed out.

Where in the article does it say anything about that? I can't find any mention of that. The quote you just posted here specifically says they haven't done anything about it at all, which means you're just proving Consultant's point even more.

8. RTiii320 thread starter macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

...getting back on topic. What do you guys think of making a connector universal so you can go anywhere and anyone will have the same charger? will this out weigh the effects of having another connector port on your iphone?

9. KingHuds macrumors 6502

Its not like its going to happen any time soon, and this universal port will likely transfer data also... so odds are no extra port.

10. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Lovely quote, but where within it does it say that Apple ever considered this, and then did a turn around.. or rather didn't consider it but now are.

That statement shows us that AT&T are joining, iPhone Partners (by that I guess accessory makers like Belkin and Griffin.. who btw make stuff for other things too..) are joining, but not Apple, nor have they considered.

11. RTiii320 thread starter macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

I know...I know. My Mistake I am Sorry. What more do you want?

How about a comment on the idea of a universal charger rather than the mistake i made..

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Universal "chargers" is sorta' like getting "universal health coverage" here in the US; NOT gonna' happen in my lifetime...:eek:

13. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I just want a solar panel built into the back of every gadget...

... and good weather. :)