Apple has to stop turning on iMessage after upgrades

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by mush10, Nov 18, 2014.

1. mush10 macrumors regular

I don't understand with all the problems Apple has freeing user accounts from iMessage they think it is alright to turn on iMessage again after an update. I certainly understand if you are all in with Apple why this would not matter. I switch phones and devices a lot and always keep iMessage off to avoid issues.

Why change a users settings during an update?

2. Rigby macrumors 601

It didn't turn on iMessage when I updated. Be sure to select "skip" if you see an iCloud sign in screen when the phone reboots after the update.

3. tennisproha macrumors 65816

I agree. the other issue with this that's also icloud related is when you sign into icloud, it automatically turns on sync for all the services except mail I think. pretty wacky and a sure fire way to mess up sync collections. apple needs to start being cognisant of these details. it's been too long since iCloud launched.

also the iMessage issue is not so straight forward with the initial setup b/c there are other things that work with that log in, mainly icloud restore. apple just needs to let everyone manually turn on whichever service they wish to use instead of clustering everything together.

4. Rigby macrumors 601

That's exactly what you get when you skip the initial iCloud log in screen. You can manually activate/deactivate any iCloud services you want in the settings. However, after the 8.1.1 update, my iCloud settings (after skipping the log in screen) were exactly as they were before, so no additional configuration was needed.

5. tennisproha macrumors 65816

yes but that is after the fact, once everything has already been turned on.

6. mush10 thread starter macrumors regular

I will try that next time. And the manually sign in after? Doesn't look like I got stuck in the iMessage loop this time luckily.

7. Rigby macrumors 601

Uhm, no. As explained above, all iCloud settings were as before the update. If you skip the screen when setting up a new device, all iCloud features will be disabled at first.

----------

Yes. I always do it like this, since I like to have control over which services get activated.

8. tennisproha macrumors 65816

This is incorrect. All iCloud services are Enabled at first. In addition, if you sign out of iCloud services before update, they are all enabled once you sign in after update.

The default for all iCloud services is enabled/on, not disabled add it should be.

9. Rigby macrumors 601

No. How would that even possible on a new device where you have never entered your iCloud password?
    Yes, that's why I wrote above that you shouldn't sign in on the initial setup screen.

10. tennisproha macrumors 65816

I think you're misunderstanding my point. If you re-read post #3, when you sign into iCloud, all services are turned on/enabled by default.

Obviously if iCloud is not signed into, then common sense dictates iCloud services are not available.