Apple having technical issues - AGAIN?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by creativedogmedia, Sep 12, 2014.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

My business partner was ready to rock in the Apple Store app and the website at 12:01pdt. Neither method worked for a full 25 mins with him finally having to go to verizonwireless.com to order. Twice in one week that it seems Apple wasn't trchnically prepared for a big day. What gives? Surely, someone was fired for Tuesday's live stream debacle.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Correct it was down, but the app was working. I think its up now.

3. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Join the club. It took my wife and I over an hour to get two phones ordered on the Store app on our iPhones separately.

4. inthecup macrumors regular

Took me about 45 minutes .... My wife slept I worked with 3 hands .. Had a few problems but got them both set for delivery 9/19

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

When your business releases a product that gets the attention of multiple millions of people, spread out over several countries, who all want to order that product before anyone else does, AND your site manages to stay up and process every single page hit and product order on the first try, come back here and let us know how you did it. ;)

I'm annoyed with the situation this morning too, and it took me two hours to get what I wanted. But I also recognize that this is pretty much the biggest product launch yet, for people who have been wanting this design for a long time now. I doubt any company would've managed to handle the load flawlessly.

6. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Which models? We both got 128GB 6+ versions, which seems to have run out quickly.

7. inthecup macrumors regular

16GB & 64GB 6 versions

8. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I dont think it's possible to ever be perfect but you have to admit, tuesday's launch was a debacle from a technical standpoint and it ultimately comes down to having enough bandwidth and servers in place to handle the load. I just think it wasn't thought out enough prior to both events.

9. billp1 macrumors newbie

I agree. When you are the size of Apple you either don't do it unless you can do it right. This is the second time this week they have not been ready for prime time

10. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Why are people always so quick to fire others for inconveniencing them?

11. dave420 macrumors 65816

So you think they should have just called off the whole iPhone 6 launch because the web site couldn't handle millions of orders in a fifteen minute time period? I think it's better that Apple starts selling the phones even if some people run into problems. Not everyone can be the first one to have a phone.

12. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

They should have staggered pre order times of different countries. The experience of purchasing the phone has been dreadful.

13. scaredpoet, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah, from a user standpoint I guess it's all just very simple to just "have enough bandwidth and servers" out there to handle hundreds of millions of simultaneous requests, for a one-day event, and then write off the cost of all that infrastructure that gets unused for most of the rest of the year. And then build out that same infrastructure in other countries as well for their launch dates (because building up bandwidth and servers in Cupertino may help the US, but has far less of an effect in say, London, or Moscow, or Mumbai when it's time for those people to order.)

I prefer to reserve judgement until we see what the initial sales figures are. If they aren't much larger than last year, sure, I'll agree with you. But the sheer fact that past streams HAVE gone smoothly (even under Tim Cook's reign), and past launches have improved until this recent cratering, suggests to me the the numbers ended up being even some of the rosier estimates.

A good opening day count indicates to me that people DID manage to get through, especially if it's enough to break previous records.

----------

They're staggering dates. This wasn't a worldwide launch. Today was only the U.S., Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore and the U.K. You weren't competing with India, Russia, and most of Asia. They get their turn on the 26th.

Staggering times within a day, however, probably would've caused more havoc than it solves. It would increase the incentive for scalpers and speculators who live in the "early launch" timezones to hammer the site and gobble up all the inventory for themselves, leaving less-fortuante time zones with less stock. And then you'd have the possibility of people on VPNs gaming the system, too. Not to say this isn't true with staggered launch days, but at least with the current system, Apple has two weeks to build up additional stock for the next wave.