Apple HE Discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Scorpia, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Scorpia macrumors newbie

Just wondering if they actually check to see if you are a student or not? (In the UK)
    Thanks

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

1) Yes, they do, in retail stores, they ask for ID
    2) Not from the web store, at least, Ive never been asked for ID (However I have only ever used it as a student with vaild Student ID, and if you dont have such ID you dont qualify to use the store).
    3) You cant access the higher HE discounts uni qualify for unless you order from within their campus networks (for instance I get a much larger discount than the "standard" HE discount, due to my uni having a separate agreement in place).

3. Scorpia thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response, but you can actually order from the HE store connected to a Uni if you are linked to it, for example I have a link to a Uni's HE Apple store where I could quite easily get a discount, but i'm questioning what would happen if they were to ask for ID etc.
    I guess the worst they would do is simply cancel the order.

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

1) If your not a student or faculty member you dont qualify to use that store, so doing so would entitle Apple to cancel the order
    2) My unis store is ONLY accessible from within campus, not via a link offsite, and even if they are avaliable you shouldnt use them unless you qualify.
    3) If they ask for ID, which I suspect is likely unless you have a correct .ac.uk email address for 'em, and you cant provide it the order will be cancelled, as you dont qualify for the discount.

5. moneyman118 macrumors 6502

You can order one online and they will NOT verify it. Apples honor system. What computer are you getting??!?!?

6. Scorpia thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm looking to get a Macbook pro/air.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "Apples honor system".. could you explain it perhaps :)

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

If you look at the sales agreement, they may audit the sales and bill you later if you turn out not to be qualified. I have never heard of them doing this, though.

8. chriscordell macrumors newbie

Buying over the phone

They will check if you ring through to place the order though. I had to order my macbook over the phone (The website didn't take my card for some unknown reason... but they did over the phone).

I had to scan and email a copy of my 'yes he goes to uni here' letter to get the discount!

9. highburyheroes macrumors newbie

Well i purchased and received my imac over a week ago now, using the HE discount. If you ring up, they will ask you what Uni you go to, and where it is located (my uni is not called *location* university). Furthermore they then ask for a valid email address HOWEVER, this is not required to be a ac.uk address (if you live in the uk thats the uni emails) i gave them my hotmail. I was not required to provide evidence, although i was asking questions about microsoft office and iwork, as well as compatibility with PC machines for PDF'S and excel. However, like previous posters have mentioned, apple do have the right to cancel, or make you pay the full amount if they believe you are not providing the correct information and cannot provide evidence. I would think it also depends on what the assistant is like also, whether their a little suspicious of you LOL.

10. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I'm debating taking my old college ID in to the apple store when I get my iMac for a cool $100 off, OTOH I could just go to best buy and get $30 back with my reward zone card. I graduated over a year ago, but I think my mind's eye can take a fifteen minute break when I buy it since I'd be $70 ahead.

I don't have my school email anymore, however I don't think it would be an issue. I don't particularly feel unethical since they refused to replace my Classic when it was still in the warranty timeframe, but I'm not going to get into that story.