Apple headphone adapter.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by joeblow7777, Oct 11, 2017.

1. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I just got an 8+ coming from a 6, so this is my first experience with a headphone jack-less iPhone.
    I was trying out the little adapter dongle that comes bundled and it seems that it doesn't work when used with Apple earbuds (non-lightning ones, obviously).

Is it just my adapter, or is this normal? I've tried with 3 different sets. It's worked with every non-Apple earphones I've used though.

2. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

No, this is obviously not normal lol As far as providing help, I got nothing.

3. joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 603

Thanks, I wasn’t expecting help, just wanted to confirm that it wasn’t just me. It’s really strange though. It’s the same for every set of Apple earbuds that I try; extremely staticky and distant sounding. Basically useless. But so far it’s clear as day for every non-Apple set I’ve tried. I guess they should replace it for me if I take it to an Apple store and they observe the same behaviour, right?. Not a big deal either way, it’s just a cheap little dongle.

4. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

Yes, considering it only costs $9, I would imagine they would swap it out for you without even testing it.

5. joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 603

Yeah, considering that it’s about 1% of what I spent on the phone, they really shouldn’t give too much fuss! :D

6. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Just have it swapped out at Apple Store. It's under warranty.

7. joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 603

Probably a dumb question, but I don't have to make an appointment, do I? Do I walk up to the Genius bar? Ask a random genius?

I only ever go into the Apple Store to look at products on display. I've never needed to conduct any business or be serviced. :p

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I also tried what you stated above with adapter, and I did not have issues. And in your situation, I would not make an appointment, just walk in and explain. It should only take you a few minutes.

9. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

An appointment is not necessary…. but if you walk in during a busy time, you will be qued behind everyone else that has an appointment at that time! And that could mean a very long wait, depending on how busy your Apple Store gets on most days.

It's only fair that the others get served before you, they made an appointment, and you did not.

10. joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 603

Of course.

11. joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 603

Got a replacement at the Apple Store yesterday. I didn’t have an appointment and they were really busy, but I’m actually really impressed by how efficiently they handled it. Can’t beat Apple in customer service!