Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I'm really surprised that there's no such thread yet.

And I wonder why Apple didn't make Health available for iPad and Mac.

I've heard that there's some Mac apps that fix this problem.

Does anyone know which one is the safest to use regarding data protection? I certainly don't want some developer to have access to my Health data.

Considering this, what are your suggestions?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I certainly don't want some developer to have access to my Health data.

Isn't health app data sharing one-way? I.E., in Privacy if you allow, say, autosleep access to the health app the wording is "Allow autosleep to write data." I've never seen any references for data transfers going the other way from health to an app.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Isn't health app data sharing one-way? I.E., in Privacy if you allow, say, autosleep access to the health app the wording is "Allow autosleep to write data." I've never seen any references for data transfers going the other way from health to an app.

It depends on the App, because I definitely do have apps (i.e. "5x5 Stronglifts" or I think "Yazio" as well) that ask to read data too. Writing data is alright, I don't want them to read it though.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
It depends on the App, because I definitely do have apps (i.e. "5x5 Stronglifts" or I think "Yazio" as well) that ask to read data too. Writing data is alright, I don't want them to read it though.

But you have to allow those reads from the health app in privacy settings, as well as the app itself right?

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
But you have to allow those reads from the health app in privacy settings, as well as the app itself right?
You have to, yes, but if I'm using a third party app on my Mac then that app would probably have to read my Health data from iCloud, and who knows what they might be doing with it.

I found one such app, but I need at least macOS 11, which I can not get, because my Mac Pro is too old.

They say that no data is being uploaded or shared anywhere.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
I'm really surprised that there's no such thread yet.

And I wonder why Apple didn't make Health available for iPad and Mac.

I've heard that there's some Mac apps that fix this problem.

Does anyone know which one is the safest to use regarding data protection? I certainly don't want some developer to have access to my Health data.

Considering this, what are your suggestions?
Glad you started this. I have wondered about this also; and why the Fitness App is 'truncated' on the iPad. Don't really understand their logic.

Reactions: Silly John Fatty

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
You have to, yes, but if I'm using a third party app on my Mac then that app would probably have to read my Health data from iCloud, and who knows what they might be doing with it.

Not sure I understand. You have to approve in Privacy the apps access to health data, which is stored (I assume) in iCloud. At that point it's not an Apple issue but a developer one. Do you trust them with your data? If not, then don't approve. If you do, but don't want them to be able to access all data, just approve the data items that they can see, assuming that they have that option. For most of the apps I use they have toggles for all the categories - activity, glucose, blood type, etc. are all toggles. What am I missing here?

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Not sure I understand. You have to approve in Privacy the apps access to health data, which is stored (I assume) in iCloud. At that point it's not an Apple issue but a developer one. Do you trust them with your data? If not, then don't approve. If you do, but don't want them to be able to access all data, just approve the data items that they can see, assuming that they have that option. For most of the apps I use they have toggles for all the categories - activity, glucose, blood type, etc. are all toggles. What am I missing here?

Sorry for my delayed response of over 1 ½ years lol, but what you were missing was basically that I'd have to give that 3rd party app access to read all my Apple Health data if I wanted it to display that data.

If I toggled off everything, the app would have no use? It would be empty …

Ethanmenzel

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2017
I am surprised, too, as Apple could allow medical professionals to input data directly into the app rather than using third-party software. With most third-party software, there's a button to allow access to the health app, and many medicinal locations don't even know about it, so it'll probably never be turned on unless by default.

I understand the Privacy concerns with allowing access to user's medical data, but if it can be done on the iPhone, then why not on macOS? I do think that there would be some differences in how the health app works on Mac since you usually have your iPhone with you when using your Mac, and your Mac doesn't need to be tracking things like your steps when it feels redundant even when your iPhone is already doing it.

I feel that if Apple had a health app on Mac, it would be for inputting data when you're at a doctor's appointment instead of using paper on the doctor's end and for viewing your health information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.