Apple hifi compatible with iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bobthecat23, Sep 7, 2009.

1. bobthecat23 macrumors member

Is the apple iPod hifi compatible with the iPhone? And is eBay the best place to get one at this point? Really want to get one.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

in a word

NO they a cheap knock offs but hey if you want one go for it just don't expect it to be a iphone! I had a Hiphone about 1 1/2 ago dlad I don't now. by the way they are not made by Apple just so you know.

3. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

What do iPhone clones have to do with the iPod HiFi?

4. mfillhart macrumors member

Mine works with the hifi in airplane mode. it's probably the best place to get one, although make sure to check the description as most seem damaged

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The iPod Hifi's dock does not accept the iPhone, from recent experience. It fits, but does not read the pins correctly. The only way to use the iPhone with one is with either an iPhone dock or a universal dock, with a line out audio cable (minijack to minijack).

This could be true. We didn't try that.

6. bobthecat23 thread starter macrumors member

What other soundock would be a nice alternative?

7. Shabbis macrumors regular

Bose Soundock

8. bobthecat23 thread starter macrumors member

Where would the cheapest/best place be to get a Bose soundDock?

9. Shabbis macrumors regular

Best Buy, Apple Store, Bose store, somewhere online possibly.

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

Sorry OP

I read it and somehow I got Apple HIphone opps my bad lol guess I need more Caffeine or less beer not sure which. today was a rough day around here. oh well please ignore my post.

11. atariguy macrumors newbie

The iPhone works with the Apple HiFi, it just wont charge the iphone while docked. It prompted to turn on airplane mode when I plug it in to stop any interference.
    Get a HiFi over the Bose Sound dock, the sound is quite a bit better because of the dual woofers and larger enclosure. I compared my HiFi to my brothers Sound Dock and we both agreed the HiFi was better sounding.

12. bobthecat23 thread starter macrumors member

What about a bose® SoundDock® Portable Digital Music System?

13. atariguy macrumors newbie

This wouldn't be bad either. I've thought about getting one.
    M-STATION 2.1 STEREO TOWER by mStation Audio

RE: Bose Sound Dock Portable.
    iLounge didn't give either of the Bose sound docks a great review. - "Having heard so many other speakers, however, both editors agreed that neither Bose system sounded fully worthy of its price relative to similarly-equipped competitors we’ve tested: similarly portable systems such as Altec Lansing’s $250 inMotion iM7 and Harman Kardon’s $350 Go + Play offer superior balance and bass extension at lower prices, with Harman’s and even Apple’s now-discontinued $349 iPod Hi-Fi excelling at high-volume performances."

You can also buy this adapter so charging works on the original Bose sound dock and Apple HiFi
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855998971

14. bobthecat23 thread starter macrumors member

I wonder what's more portable the harman kardon one or the Bose one? Any oipinions

15. bobthecat23 thread starter macrumors member

Does anyne kno if i would be able to use the scoshe recharging
    adapter with the harman kardon go+play?

16. Shabbis macrumors regular

17. bobthecat23 thread starter macrumors member

18. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Go somewhere where you can listen to the Bose SD2, I think you'll be impressed. Worth the $.

19. bobthecat23 thread starter macrumors member

20. The General macrumors 601

[​IMG]

21. nepfotos macrumors member

nepfotos

One of the best solutions

If you want to have real Hifi quality you shoud use a Wadia 170i Transport, an iPod docking station wih digital output. It is one of the only solutions that bypass the iPod internal D/A converter and gives you really great sound (not to compare with Bose systems)

22. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Proper HiFi or upmarket dock/boombox?

For a "proper" HiFi then I'd suggest an Arcam Solo with the rDock accessory for full remote control via the Arcam's controller - this currently does not charge the iPhone. Cost in the UK is about £1400 or so. Other Arcam amps may also allow remote control of the iPhone/iPod but I don't know for sure - check their website. You'll need decent speakers - my personal favourites are Bowers & Wilkins 684s.

If you don't care about remote iPod control &etc the Arcam rDock has RCA phono out to connect to any decent HiFi. The rDock is widely reviewed as the best dock adaptor. It also has video out, but I've never tried that.

For an upmarket dock/boombox the Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin is easily the best I've ever heard over Bose and any other manufacturer. This currently does not charge the iPhone.

I'm a little bit of a HiFi buff and found that the stuff mentioned above impressed me enough to buy them:)

23. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

24. bobthecat23 thread starter macrumors member

Lol thank you.

25. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

I would vote for the HiFi, even though they're no longer sold by Apple (and eBay is probably your best bet to get one). I think the sound is great and the only downer at this point is that it will not charge the iPhone 3G or 3GS. However, I plan to get one of the Scosche adapters to address this and have been living without my HiFi as a charger for my iPhone in the meantime.