Apple Higher Education discount over phone vs in store!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by uzit, Feb 28, 2010.

1. uzit macrumors regular

Hey guys!

Looking to get a Macbook for Uni and I would like to get it with the HE discount!

Now, I would like to go into the store and get it but I heard from a few folks that you get better discount from phone sale folks! Is this true?

Thank You

Usman

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

3. mac-matt macrumors member

you''ll most likely get a better deal going through refurb

4. uzit thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the swift reply! I'm in the UK if that helps!

Well, my brother just rang me and he rang them yesterday to order his Mac Pro with the HE discount and he says they offer better over the phone! :S

Then I wont get the nice discount off apple care!

5. mac-matt macrumors member

this works for me. go to the HE page. add the refurb itll be like 9% off instead of 14% so your getting a deal, then add the applecare and its 220 instead of 300. this is all on the canadian page but it might be the same idea for you

6. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

It is the same, if you insist...

In 2006, I purchased a white MacBook from Apple telesales in the UK. At the time, I was a full time university student and I asked about their pricing. I wanted more RAM and bigger HDD. The basic MacBook was £749 and the mid-range was around £820. The guy on the phone asked me what I would say for an offer, whereas I would get the mid-range MB for the price of the basic one. I said, that if that was their student discount, that would be great. Later, when I heard that they give 14%, I felt cheated. The strange thing is that for the discount, you need to prove your student status. I haven't and I still got the 8% discount. What's more is that I spent almost a year in Oxford and somebody told me that you get 15% off there.

I think the AppleCare is essential if you are buying as a student. For a MacBook and a MacBook Pro, it's around £55-60 for students instead of £180-200. I wouldn't recommend buying them at full price, but at that price, they are a must.

I purchased two MacBook Airs in the past, both were 1st generation refurbished ones. I couldn't get discount on them nor on the AppleCare. However, with the Airs, the hinges are problematic and as I am aware, they are being replaced for free by Apple even outside of any warranty period as they are considered to be faulty due to a design fault.

In my experience, there is no difference between discount given to full-time university students and lecturers.

EDIT:

But Apple's rebates can be a pain. I still have ongoing issues with printers and an iPod Touch. They make the rebate an unpleasant and complicated process. Besides, cutting out barcodes from those nice boxes are a bit sad.

7. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

its the same, but make sure that you get the discounted HE applecare, which is usually about £50. I say this because the apple clerks dont always know about it :confused:

8. mac-matt macrumors member

did you buy through the online store? i can get both mba and apple care for discounted. the discount on the mba however is adjusted to be the same as the refurb price so in reality your only saving on the applecare. worst case scenario you have to buy the applecare on its own on the HE website.

9. Aboo macrumors 6502a

I couldn't disagree with this comment any more. Perhaps its different since you are in the UK. In the US, you don't need to submit any barcodes. Its a simple electronic form that you fill up online. All it asks for is your name, address, invoice number, and web order number. The check is usually mailed out within a month (quicker than the 6-8 weeks most rebate companies take to get your money to you).

Secondly, for HE UK, you already get a standard 3 year warranty regardless of if you purchase the Apple Care service or not. Basically the 50-60 pounds you pay for the Apple Care service is only for extended telephone support (since the standard warranty only comes with 90 days of telephone support). My advice is, if you live near an Apple store, there is no real need for you to get the Apple care, since you can just take it into the store get the system fixed.

Good luck!

10. Aboo macrumors 6502a

11. mac-matt macrumors member

if this is true, why dont they do this in north america

12. Aboo macrumors 6502a

These are terms negotiated between Apple and some organization that represents higher education in the UK. We don't have that sort of collective bargaining power in North America!! :mad:

More details here: http://www.apple.com/uk/education/nationalcontract/

13. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

If you use the HE online store, you can purchase AppleCare separately from your Mac purchase, and still get the discounted price (it just has to be registered within the span of the standard 1-year warranty).

EDIT: Just realized that there appears to be some special AppleCare discount at time of purchase for UK students... so my above advice may or may not apply.

14. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

WOW! Why did I keep paying that £50-60 for years? I must have wasted at least £240. Southampton is actually pretty close to us and I go there regularly. But most importantly - why did nobody from Apple tell me this before?! :(

Edit: I changed my mind. :mad: :mad: :mad:

15. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Is the warranty equal to Apple Care (except for the phone support)?
    The Apple Care contract states that products that are covered by Apple Care can be repaired in every country in the world (desktops only on the continent you bought it on).
    Is that also covered by the UK HE warranty?

16. Igantius macrumors 65816

The discount is the same for students and all employees of the institution, not just academics – with the latter, they used to have to be a teacher or supervisor, but Apple relaxed this a few months ago.

Going on what people have posted before, I’m pretty sure that you’re not entitled to the discounted AC and it’s more at the store’s discretion.

When you pay £50 or so AC via the HE Store, you’re actually paying for an uplift from the ‘AppleCare Base Warranty Certificate for the Higher Education National Contract’ (which is the free 36 month parts and labour warranty).

Although physical stores can match the HE Store price, going from previous posters’ experiences you don’t get the free three-year warranty, just the standard one-year one – but some people did manage to buy non-HE AC at a greatly discounted rate (although this was normally slightly more expensive than going down the HE uplift).

Very true !

This is another difference to the HE stores – buying software! There are no such things as academic versions in the UK and if you buy Apple apps, there tends to be a huge discount on what is a full version (i.e. you can upgrade) – e.g. FCS is about £250 (if I remember right), whilst in the States it’s $899 for the non-upgradeable academic version. Pretty sure this has nothing to do with the UK HE agreement, but is down to how Apple wants to operate here.

I’m afraid it doesn’t! The cheap uplift to full AC must be made at the same time of purchase as the machine – it’s not possible to get it later at this reduced rated.

Yes, the warranty is equivalent to normal AppleCare without phone support. In the T&Cs I have, it doesn’t mention about global support – I’ve a strong feeling that the HE warranty didn’t use to give global coverage, but this was a while ago, when regular AC gave a couple more advantages (e.g. free courier service) than it does now.

I would use the contact methods on the link Aboo posted to check to be on the safe side.

17. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Thank you very much! I'll do so.

18. Igantius macrumors 65816

BTW what I said about the software – it’s less generous if you buy it ready installed when getting a Mac via the HE Store.

For example, Aperture would cost £60 via the HE Store, but it you bought a Mac the same way with the software pre-installed, Apple charges £140!

A pleasure!

One thing I meant to say is although the HE warranty remains for the whole three years regardless who owns it - quite a few people expressed an opinion that having the ‘proper’ AC would make it a bit more attractive buyers, which I think it is a sound point.

19. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Going on the 10 macs I have bought in retail stores (Regent street, Bluewater and Brent X), I can assure you that they all allow you to purchase the uplift when buy a mac using your HE discount.

The only issue is that not everyone there knows about it. Ask to speak to a manager if you have any trouble, and all will be well.

The cost of the applecare uplift varies per machine from around £35 to £60

The exact figure of your HE discount will depend on the institution you are at, I for example get 14% off.

20. Igantius macrumors 65816

As I say, my comment was based what a variety of people had said about their own experiences in different stores but at least one person was told that it was at the store’s/manager discretion - this isn’t to say that you’re wrong and it’s certainly good to speak to the manager!

When you buy in-store you used to get just the one-year (i.e. standard) warranty, so if the store matches the HE price and offers cheap AC, it is cheap AC rather than an uplift – I’m not sure this is still the case, but according to posters on a couple of threads on other forums this year, it is according to them. I was vague about the pricing as this varies but as an example of what people have said here, last year one person last year could get AC for his MB in-store for £50, but the HE uplift was £38. At the moment, through the HE Store, the uplift is ranges from £35 (mini) to £52 (MP).

You might be right about the discount varying between institutions – and I have heard this before - but out of 14 friends and colleagues all working at different places round the UK, we all get the exactly the same discount, so I’m not sure how much variation there is. Personally, I find the discount varies on what's being bought – e.g. 16% off a MP, around 14% for laptops but only about 11-12% for an iMac.

21. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Im just trying to separate the fact form the hearsay.

1. It is policy in the apple store, but outside of university towns is not often known by all staff, if you question them, they will check and it is always confirmed. I know this from talking to apple both over the phone, and from the managers of various stores in and around london. If they talk about it being at the managers discretion, they are simply not being honest with their customers.

2. The discount of the computer itself is directly related to each universities' annual spend with apple. This actually varies from about 7% (using apples figures from 2008) to 15%.

I am not trying to start anything here, its just that the longer mis-info spreads around, the more people won't get what they are entitled to.

I once watched a sales assistant nearly sell a university student (who had specifically said this to him) a high end macbook pro, when all student had wanted to do was check email, do some word processing and check facebook! Furthermore, He also pushed them to purchase the non-home/student version of microsoft office, and applecare.

In this case I actually stepped in and saved the student hundreds of pounds, and they were very thankful. My point is that this happens day in day out in the apple stores as while lots of staff are great, a lot are really rather lacklustre.

If more people knew what apple offers as part of their policy, then fewer people would pay over the odds for their machines.

Student_trap

22. Gloor macrumors 6502a

anyone got list of schools for HE or FE for UK? I've lost it and now the link doesn't work anymore.
    I have friends that could be eligible but I don't want to call apple and ask for all the schools so if someone has the list it would really help.
    Thank you

23. Jeffacme macrumors member

Forget Apple Care

Forget Apple Care and use the money to buy an insurance policy for the laptop. They are available for about the same price and cover all hazards including theft and liquid spills.

We did so last year and just days after buying the policy my daughter spilled tea on her laptop, total loss. Less than a week later she had a new laptop and I had a check to pay for it.

24. Brandon263 macrumors 6502

Small point, but Oxford gets the same HE discount as every other uni (currently about 6%).