Apple Highlights Autism Acceptance Month Through App Store, Retail Field Trips

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 31, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

April is Autism Acceptance Month, and Apple plans to mark the occasion in several ways, including a dedicated section in the App Store and retail field trips.

According to Steven Aquino, a journalist who covers accessibility topics, Apple will offer field trips to retail stores that will host music events designed to include children with disabilities.

Kids will be able to participate in the events using the Skoogmusic Skoog 2.0 Tactile Musical Interface, one of the many accessibility-oriented accessories Apple sells in its online store. Skoog is a tactile cube that lets children with disabilities control sound through touch.

Along with special Apple Store events, Apple has created an Autism Acceptance App Store section that includes dozens of important accessibility apps organized into sections like Apps for Every Day, Apps for Learning, Books, Podcasts, and iTunes U courses.

[​IMG]

Some of the apps included are Proloquo2Go, :prose, Keeble Accessible Keyboard, Assistive Express, TouchChat HD, RocketKeys, and more.

Accessibility has always been hugely important to Apple, and the company has aimed to make its devices accessible for everyone, with in-depth accessibility settings to meet a range of needs. Back in October, Apple launched a new Accessibility website that highlights accessibility features across all of its products.

Article Link: Apple Highlights Autism Acceptance Month Through App Store, Retail Field Trips

2. brendu macrumors 68020

Interesting they call it autism acceptance when I've always heard of it as autism awareness month. As a special education teacher I like "autism acceptance" as much as awareness. Good for Apple for spreading the word.

3. that be me macrumors 6502

As an Apple fan with autism, I wonder if they'll have any events for adults. I think this is a great idea overall.

4. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I love that Apple is so socially active. Some people say they should just stick to business, but I disagree.

5. Cineplex macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

It's like you think we've never heard of or encountered Autism. Is this month for the people with Autism or for the people who buy a pin and lie to themselves that they are making a difference and actively helping people? Ya, I don't think this is for anyone but the do nothing do gooders who like to tell you how to think.

6. Relentless Power, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I kind see article as a comparison as to what Apple did with the Apple Watch and having wheelchair measurement capabilities. Apple took in consideration that not everybody is mobile due to handicap restrictions and they went out a step further thinking though of those who were handicap with Apple Watch, with those who wanted to participate in physical activity.

Same concept applies here with someone who is mentally handicapped, they're using technology to help those who don't have the ability some of us do to interact and learn.

7. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

The other day I saw a pink ribbon and when I asked what it was for I found out women could get cancer in their breasts. Who knew?!

8. goonie4life9 macrumors regular

FYI: Just so you know, autism is a genetic disorder, not a "mental handicap."

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Why do you say this?

Not being accusatory, just inquisitive, so I can understand, as I have friends whose children are on the spectrum.

BL.

10. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I appreciate your post and I don't disagree with you. However, I referred to those in general who are mentally handicapped. I never indicated Autism as a stand alone disorder, hence why their are tools and available resources for a wider demographic.

11. brendu macrumors 68020

Just want to make one small note, Autism is not a mental handicap. Many with autism may have other issues or may seem to have mental deficits when in reality that's simply not true. Most people with autism are of average intelligence.

Edit: just read your earlier reply. Sorry, I misunderstood you.

12. goonie4life9 macrumors regular

I say this because it is not a "mental" issue. Individuals with autism have deficits in social communication and restricted interests/repetitive patterns of behavior. None of those three domains are "mental." There is a long history of defining people by their "mental " abilities and it turns out this is not very useful (i.e., it doesn't help us better understand the disorder, treat the disorder, etc.).

--- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2017 ---
    You were right in correcting the poster as ignorance can only be remedied if people provide information. There is nothing "mental" about autism and individuals with autism who have intellectual and adaptive behavior deficits have them NOT because of autism but because of a co-morbid intellectual disability (what used to be classified as mental retardation).

13. zooby, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  14. G4DPII macrumors regular

G4DPII

Surely Autism along with any other physical/mental disability should be accepted every month of the year? Peoples ignorance and intolerance should be highlighted, not those with such conditions. I guess there would be no profit in that.

Same as Cancer charities. If the worlds 3 biggest charities came together, imagine the results, but instead they all have teams of people doing exactly the same things in each charity.

15. Cineplex macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

Oh please. Apple is sooooo inclusive with all their white men running the company. Why don't you folks understand what marketing is? Apple doesn't do squat for these people except try to sell them apps. Apple makes the devices...they don't even make the software that these folks use. It's just a large load of BS that the progressive customer base eats up. Apple isn't helping anyone but it's shareholders and CEO.

16. brendu macrumors 68020

That's ridiculous. Go look in a special needs classroom and tell me apples hardware isn't providing a benefit to the students. iPads with the right software have given several of the students I know a voice. By your logic, macs don't help professionals either. apple has always gone farther than any other tech company to make their products accessible to everyone and as a result have bettered the lives of many people including those with disabilities.

17. Cineplex macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

Oh please. You think the hardware is special or that its designed for these people. Wrong! There is zero difference between an iPad, Android Tablet, or Windows Surface. It just happened that the most software is available on Apple's stuff. But it's not exclusive. While the iPad is helping people....there is nothing special about the iPad that makes it anymore useful than competing platforms. There are PLENTY of classrooms and homes using software for non-Apple devices that is helping people just as much. The other tech companies just don't showcase that sort of thing as much as Apple. Apple wants to shove it's so called progressive values down your throat so you get that warm and fuzzy feeling when you spend $500 on a watch and $900 on a phone. Your crazy defense is proof of that. You are brainwashed into thinking the iPad is the only magical device that can help people. Well....you are wrong. And Apple makes these devices with accessibility options (very few of them) simply to increase it's sales. But hey, keep defending Apple and pushing it's progressive image....it helps Tim fill his Yacht with gas and Dr. Dre buy off the cops for all the woman he beats and drugs he probably buys.

18. brendu, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2017

brendu macrumors 68020

Apple has accessibility features others don't have or only recently introduced. You make a ton of assumptions too. I never said only Apple makes devices that help people. If you really think Apple is such a horrible company for having progressive values, then go buy something else. I'm not politically liberal but im perfectly capable of recognizing the work that has been done to make it easier for people to live their lives. And yes, Apple has the absolute best mainstream hardware and software for accessibility needs. Also, would supporting google or miscosoft be any better for me? How would it be any different, lining their executives pockets with my money?

19. atmenterprises macrumors regular

You do realize the CEO is gay, right? But Apple's not inclusive...

20. sudo1996 Suspended

sudo1996

What do you want Apple to do, go out of the way to promote people who aren't white? That would be racial discrimination.

21. harriska2, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017

harriska2 macrumors regular

harriska2

There is an ignore option! Click on the user name then click on the ignore link. It works!

Apple has definitely helped my 21 year old son with autism. When we first got it in 2000, we didn't realize how beneficial it would become. Reading books and texts on the ipad is quicker with word lookups. You can have it read anything to you. He uses it to take pictures of the whiteboard, experiments, and record lectures. It ties to his $100 used iphone 5s with icloud so that he can maintain his calendar of homwork due, dental appointments and contact info. He emails and facetimes me. He emails his instructors with questions, something he never used to do. He has a macbook for heftier assigments but he claims the ipad is "an extension of my arm." His communication skills used to be non existent - even neglecting to ask to go out for dinner or telling us he was leaving. Now his communication is very regular because his devices work together and they are easy for him to use and learn. He uses a $10 iwireless plan and it works just fine. I have to say the apple devices have been worth every penny, especially the sturdy ipads that he has dropped on tile foors multiple times.

22. Cineplex macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

I am sure there are ZERO qualified people to run Apple other than the white men running it now. For the record I don't support hiring based on race, but I also don't support people calling Apple inclusive when it clearly is not. They get all their diversity numbers from retail where they really don't care. If they had to have some ethnicity in the executive gentlemens club...they'd be mad.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2017 ---
    He didn't announce that until after he was CEO.

23. page3 macrumors 6502

As an aside, here in the UK Apple run a load of summer "code clubs". I'm sure they do the same (probably more) in the US. Anyway, last year we took our 8 year old (autistic) son to one. He'd never been to anything like it before, and we'd never thought of attempting to take him to something like this. He'd been experimenting with Xcode for a few months as he'd outgrown Swift Playgrounds. He was really keen, but socially anxious.

Apple were brilliant. I contacted the store in advance - one of the smallest in the UK. They sent photos and tshirt in advance so he could acclimatise. Over the three days nothing was too much trouble. He was lent noise-cancelling headphones and when a trigger caused a meltdown they allowed us to go "backstage" where it was quiet and he could calm down. We were made to feel welcome rather than a burden.

A year later I'm still grateful to the staff at the Southampton Apple Store.

Apple "gets" autism and I applaud their efforts.

24. atmenterprises macrumors regular

And yet he's still there...

25. augustrushrox macrumors newbie

They already do this...