Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that "Disney Melee Mania," a new game featuring iconic Disney and Pixar characters, will soon be coming exclusively to Apple Arcade.

Apple-Arcade-disney-melee-mania.jpg

Developed by Mighty Bear Games, Disney Melee Mania brings a large number of Disney and Pixar characters together to battle in a virtual arena. Characters from "Wreck-It Ralph," "Frozen," "The Incredibles," "Toy Story," and more battle against each other in three-versus-three matches as they compete to become Disney champions, in the first-ever Disney game of its kind. More characters will be added regularly, each with their own set of moves and unlockable cosmetics.

Apple also highlighted other games coming to Apple Arcade soon, such as "LEGO Star Wars: Castaways" and "NBA 2K22 Arcade Edition."

In addition, Apple today shared a teaser trailer for the Apple TV+ original series "Fraggle Rock: Back to the Rock."

All of the original Fraggle Rock TV episodes became available to stream on ‌Apple TV+‌ in May 2020 in preparation for the launch of the reboot, which is set to arrive on January 21, 2022.

Article Link: Apple Highlights 'Disney Melee Mania' Apple Arcade Exclusive, Shares 'Fraggle Rock: Back to the Rock' Teaser

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
And, since the exclusivity only affects Android, Mighty Bear Games (the folks that brought you Butter Royale) is free to release this elsewhere, though potentially a bit more IAPPY elsewhere.

update: interestingly, Butter Royale is still Apple Arcade only, with the description on the website being “Action/Esports/Mobile”. While this new game is just listed as “Action/Epic”.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
This makes me wonder, what's the best third party controller for an iPhone? Especially one that will likely not be obsolete in a few years? I've never done the third party controller thing, but I might for something like this.

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
This makes me wonder, what's the best third party controller for an iPhone? Especially one that will likely not be obsolete in a few years? I've never done the third party controller thing, but I might for something like this.

DS4 (PS4) or Dual Sense (PS5) are good choices, they work across iOS / Android / Mac / Windows (and obviously PlayStation), they don't require disposable batteries like the Xbox controller does so micro-usb / usb c cable suffices to charge, and they're pretty good quality.

The Dual Sense one is fairly new so expect it to stay current for at least 5 years if not more.

You can buy an inexpensive mount to dock your iPhone to the gamepad if you so wish:

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I have an 8bitdo, not too bad. But I think the Sony DualSense might be the better one. The fact that Apple sells it on its own store is also a hint.

Reactions: reubs

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I doubt anything compatible would go obsolete unless Apple does something ridiculously stupid.

Not sure what your experience with gaming is, but I think "Best" depends on your comfort with layout styles. Your thumbs typically rest around the upper corners of the controller body, and the major difference between Xbox and Playstation is what will be under your left thumb: the left stick, or the Dpad.

Most modern games use the left stick as a main input, and I prefer an Xbox layout because the left stick is in a more natural placement. I hate the Playstation layout because I have to stretch my thumb if I want to use the left stick, and it feels more awkward to push the left stick in straight cardinal directions. But it can still be a good layout for "retro" games that use the Dpad as more of a main input instead of the left stick. (Ideally I would prefer a Gamecube or Wii U Pro layout, but that's a luxury iOS likely does not have.)

When it comes to third-party, uh... don't buy unless the brand is reputable. 8bitdo hardware has been relative cooperative in my experience. Hori makes great controllers although I don't know about iOS support. The chinese knockoff controller I once bought that was advertised to be compatible with iOS, Switch, PC, and Mac? No luck, only Mac and PC support.

Last edited:

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I was probably 10 years old when the original Fraggle Rock was on HBO. It was my favorite show at the time. I'm a little excited they are making something new. I will definitely watch the first episode. Good chance that will be enough, but I look forward to seeing it.

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2019
London
Fraggle Rock! I wonder if they will do any of the localisation stuff they did originally. The British one was set on a lighthouse (And it was Fulton Mackay playing the lighthouse keeper too!), USA an inventors house, French one a Bakery etc.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
So we're making cute Disney characters fight to the death. And THIS is a huge announcement for Apple Arcade???

Let's praise Apple here. It's a step in the right direction.
However, it's not enough. Apple needs big, high-quality games too.

metapunk2077fail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2021
Fraggle Rock was quite creepy. They were quite violent and and they owned these slaves that just slaved all day. And then there was this big hairy ugly thing that wanted to eat them.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
they don't require disposable batteries like the Xbox controller does

The xbox controller doesn’t require disposable batteries, get a set of Enloops!

I greatly prefer these, because I always have a pair sitting in my devices and sitting in the charger. When a device runs out of power, I just swap out the enloops, and the device is charged. I never have to sit around waiting for the charge to finish!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.